"RUINAS CHICHEN-ITZA" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá by LoriPori

Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Travel Guide: 473 reviews and 1,252 photos

THE REMARKABLE MAYAN RUINS

Monday, January 17, 2005.
Guided Tour of RUINAS CHICHEN-ITZA
Our day started off with a wake-up call at 6:00 a.m. as we were being picked up at 7:00 a.m. The bus picked up other guests at different hotels and took us to " Fiesta Plaza" where we exchanged our vouchers ($44.00 U.S. for the tour) for boarding passes and got on the bus at 8:00 a.m.
We stopped around 10:00 a.m. for a rest-stop at "El Maguey" an expensive gift & artisan shop. (1/2 hour). Arrived at Chichen-Itza at 11:30 (so about a 3 hour bus ride)
Juanito, our guide got our tickets and wrist bands ( and a $3.00 licence for our movie camera) for our group and we followed him into the ruins area.
For the first hour Juanito showed us around and explained about Chichen-Itza and finally left us on our own. We were to meet back at the bus at 3:00 p.m. so that gave us about 2 hours.
Hans managed to climb up the "Pyramid" not once but twice. The second time he brought his camera up with him. I chickened out. Too steep for me!
After getting back on the bus we finally went for lunch at 3:00 p.m. Thank goodness I brought some snacks & water with us as we were getting pretty hungry.
At the restaurant we had a lovely lunch (included) and entertainment. Drinks were extra --2 bottles of Sprite -- $5.00 U.S.
The bus driver stopped at a "cenote" for 1/2 hour. A few people went for a swim in the cenote but most of us just stayed on the bus and rested.
We arrived back at our hotel a little after 7:00 p.m. A looooong 12 hour day but soooo worth it.

TEMPLE OF THE JAGUARS

The TEMPLE OF THE JAGUARS got its name from the jaguars carved on the front of the upper structure. The jaguar is a symbol of power so this was probably a very significant structure for the Mayans.

TEMPLE OF THE WARRIORS

The TEMPLE OF THE WARRIORS is a massive structure, surrounded by hundreds of columns which seem to continue on endlessly into the jungle.

• Pros:A truly Magical Place
  • Cons:Wish I had more time to spend here
  • Last visit to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2005

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM

This brought back wonderful memories for me. We visited Chichen Itza and Uxmal from Merida. At the time i wasn't interested in photography yet. I'm happy to see how well they have preserved the sites, I remember being in awe of the place, the grand scale of it, the carvings. It is fascinating to me how advanced the Maya were in astronomy and their understanding of the planets and stars. On the day of the equinox the light hits the castillo just so, there appears to be a serpent going up the stairs,,,amazing!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Oct 25, 2012 at 4:41 AM

It is definitely an incredible site. The Maya were certainly a very advanced civilization to have built these wonderful structures and the fact that most of it is still standing.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Your page brought back good memories! I visited Chichen-Itza in 1990 with some friends. We came with the bus from Merida, left our backpacks at the visitor centre, saw the site and then continued on to Isla Mujeres. Great tips Lori!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM

This is a wonderful page...how I want to see this place...its really high on my list...great tips and photos too..look forward to meeting you all in OZ next year..

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 1:38 AM

Mexico and its sights are still in my dreams - too far from here, haha! Thanks Lori for the virtual tour to Chichén-Itzá!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Great page and photos! I was there many years ago and I don't remember it very well!!! I hope to see it again! Ciao

• gypsyT.'s Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Beautiful pictures, thank you! Lots of greetings from Germany's oldest town:-)

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 6:48 AM

One of the special places I'd really love to visit. Wonderful pictures and, as always, interesting tips. Hope you are enjoying your time in Greece!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Great climbing ants photo! You are right, the Kukulcan Pyramid is a very impressive sight! When it was "alive", that must have been an even more stunning place. The Puuc ornamentation is breathtaking!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 9:09 AM

One of the great sights of the world. Who knows, maybe I'll get there someday too.

• RAZOR-REN's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 3:09 PM

NICE CHICHEN PICS

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá

Have you been to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá?

Latest Activity in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá