"THE PERFECT DAY ON ISLA MUJERES" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Mujeres by LoriPori
Isla Mujeres Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 585 photos
Spanish for "ISLAND OF WOMEN" , the
picturesque fishing village of Isla Mujeres is a tropical paradise just a short, 15-minute ferry ride from Cancun.
The origin of the island's name is uncertain. A popular theory is that it was once a site of pilgrammage for Mayan women who came to make offerings to Ixchel, the goddess of fertility. Another theory is that this island was a place for 17th century pirates, to safely stow their women before heading out to the high seas.
More likely, the name comes from the ceramic statues of women left as a tribute to Ixchel, that the Spaniards found when they first arrived on the island in 1517.
Whatever the reason, Hans and I found the island a thoroughly charming and relaxing atmosphere. Playa Norte, the northern part of the island was filled with fishermen's boats and their nets spread out to dry in the sun. Since it was a Sunday, local families were out enjoying the day on Isla Mujeres.
So come along with us, and we will show you this little piece of paradise.
The photo is of Lori on the Carrousel, located on the northeast beach of the island, where there is a small run-down carnival area.
Here is Hansi fulfilling his childhood dream of riding on a mighty painted horse on a carrousel.
In this photo, the "Bellamar" rests on the golden sand of the beach on Isla Mujeres.
- Pros:Absolutely loved it here
- Cons:Would like to see the southern part next time
The FISHING VILLAGE of Isla Mujeres, situated a short five miles across the azure seas from Cancun, makes an excellent... more travel advice
Another charming aspect of Isla Mujeres is the quaint little bars and restaurants scattered along the beach and... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Isla Mujeres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE PERFECT DAY ON ISLA MUJERES"
- "Isla Mujeres"
- "Relaxed Island"
- "Paradise on Isla Mujeres"
- "Light Years from Cancun"
- "Isla Mujeres (Island of Women)"
- "Isla Mujeres, Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Mujeres
- Hotels in Isla Mujeres
- Transportation in Isla Mujeres
- Nightlife in Isla Mujeres
- Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
- Shopping in Isla Mujeres
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Mujeres
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Mujeres
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Isla Mujeres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Mujeres
- Posted in Travel Cleveland Forum "Re: Amish country what not to..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's Isla Mujeres travel pages
- updated a Isla Mujeres Travel Page "THE PERFECT DAY ON ISLA MUJERES"
- Uploaded a Photo to "THE PERFECT DAY ON ISLA MUJERES"
- Wrote a Review QUAINT FISHING VILLAGE in Isla Mujeres Favorites
Photos in Isla MujeresSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues