"TULUM ---- ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO" Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum by LoriPori

Tulum Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,356 photos

ZONA ARQUEOLOGICA DE TULUM

Monday, January 24, 2005.
Hans and I took local buses to TULUM. After making a stop in Play Del Carmen, it was another 39 miles, or 63 Km south.
Tulum is Mayan for "WALL" and dates to the period A.D. 900. The seaside archeological site of Tulum was once known as the "City of the Dawn". It is the only Mayan port city ever discovered and features more than 60 well-preserved buildings to explore, like the Castle, The Temple of the Wind God, Temple of the Descending God and Temple of the Frescoes God.
Also there is a wonderful beach "Papaya Playa" which many people were enjoying.

EL CASTILLO

The main temple of EL CASTILLO

TEMPLO DE LOS FRESCOS

Temple of Frescoes or TEMPLO DE LOS FRESCOS

• Last visit to Tulum: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 10, 2005

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

The ruins are beautiful and your travels always look fun and exciting. Thanks for sharing such an excellent page!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2012 at 4:21 AM

That one temple by the water, oh what a lovely location! I went to tulum years ago. since we were stationed in central america we got the chance to see a lot of great sites

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Oct 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Tulum is absolutely incredible - the ruins - location overlooking the sea.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Swine flu in Mexico is really sad- I feel sad for what's happening there now. But I never saw this descending God in Tulum - I have to check it our when I go back someday...Norman :)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Those ruins look very impressive indeed. Great coastline and neat wildlife. Lovely page!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Fascinating ruins and enjoyable beach! What may be better to spend a holiday? El Castillo and Templo de Los Frescos are very attractive for excursion. Thanks Lori for the virtual tour!

• Thailandfan's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Looks wonderful, have added to my must see one day list Regards Michelle

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 1:21 PM

I must add Tulum to my list of places to visit in Mexico. Fabulous place. I enjoyed reading your page about it, Lori.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 11:58 PM

The Tulum ruins are impressive! Templo del viento is breathtaking! Too bad that Templo de los frescos was closed. It is amazing that there are so many temples all gathered in that area! Superb iguana photo!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I never knew there were so many ruins at Tulum; I had only ever seen the classic picture of the Temple of the Wind next to the ocean.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 7:46 AM

Tulum looks very beautiful by the sea and the iguanas nice!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Tulum