Banff National Park Things to Do Tips by LoriPori
Banff National Park Things to Do: 404 reviews and 608 photos
Named for Ebenezer William Peyto, an early trail guide and trapper in the Banff area, PEYTO LAKE is a glacier fed lake located in Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies.
The lake is best seen from Bow Summit, the highest point on the Icefield Parkway.
Address: Ice Field Parkway # 93 Highway.
This gem of the Rockies reflects the Wenkchemna Peaks in its blue water . "Wenchmna" is the Stoney Indian word for "ten", thus the spot is popularly known as "The Valley of the Ten Peaks"
A mass of rocky rubble and boulders dam the lower north end of the lake. Some believe that the rock pile is a glacial moraine left behind by a retreating glacier, hence the name of the lake-- MORAINE LAKE.
Lake Louise is the most famous glacial lake in the Canadian Rockies and one of the most beautiful in the Western Hemisphere. LAKE LOUISE was named for Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, daughter of Queen Victoria.
Address: North of Banff on Highway 93
Lori & Lake Louise
As we were in LAKE LOUISE on June 7 and the ice was still melting, we didn't get to see the lake in all its glory. Ideally the lake is deep turquoise. I guess we will just have to go back again some day.
Address: North of Banff on Highway 93
View of Peyto Lake
What we saw was an amazing panoramic view of PEYTO LAKE. Hans and I just stood there in awe. "Oh, my God, that is simply beautiful" The lake derives its brilliant blue hue from silt deposited by glacial melt that reflects in the sun.
Address: Highway 93 North of Banff
The Path to the Lookout
It is Saturday June 7. We are heading south on Highway 93 on the Icefields Parkway. Hans pulled in to the parking area for BOW SUMMIT. (Elevation 2088 metres/6849 feet). We had to walk up a very steep path to get to the look-out. As you can see, there was still snow on the ground. As I am huffing and puffing on my way up, I'm saying to myself"This better be worth it!"
Address: BOW SUMMIT is along Highway 93, North of Banff
More Reviews (2)
LoriPori's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Zandvoort Hotels
- Panglao Island
- Kimanis Hotels
- William O'Brien State Park Hotels
- Ayia Napa
- Perumbakkam Hotels
- Coney Island
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Virtual Tourist Gear"
- Commented on one of windsorgirl's Banff National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "MORAINE LAKE"
- Wrote a Review MORAINE LAKE about Banff National Park in Banff National Park Favorites
- created a Banff National Park Travel Page "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (122)
Latest Banff National Park hotel reviews
- Patricia Lake Bungalows
- 611 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Glacier View Inn
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Bow Valley Motel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Banff Springs Hotel
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Mt. Engadine Lodge
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Peyto Lake- 29 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Moraine Lake/ Valley of Ten Peaks- 43 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Johnston Canyon- 25 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Sulphur Mountain Gondola- 13 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Icefields Parkway- 33 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Lakes /Mountains /Glaciers / Waterfalls- 48 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Banff Springs Hotel/Bannf Hot Springs- 21 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Hiking/Trails- 20 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Lake Louise/Chateau Lake Louise.- 43 Reviews, 70 Photos
- Bow Lake- 14 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Banff National Park Things to Do