"LONDON, ONTARIO CANADA" Top 5 Page for this destination London by LoriPori

London Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 315 photos

LONDON ON THE THAMES

The tenth largest Center in Canada, and clustered around the Forks of the Thames RiverLONDON is a prominent Canadian business, academic and medical center.
London is the urban heart of Southwestern Ontario and is located at the junction of Highway # 2 and Highway # 4 and is just 200 km ( 120 miles ) southwest of Toronto and 200 km ( 120 miles ) northeast of Windsor.
It was founded in 1792 by Colonel John Graves Simcoe, who intended to have London as the capital of Upper Canada, but those dreams did not come to fruition.
London has lots to offer, as you will see in these pages. Enjoy!

• Last visit to London: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2014 at 2:52 AM

Lori, I've had an interesting read. I never knew there was a London in Canada!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Jan 14, 2014 at 3:41 AM

Thanks for stopping by and yes we have a London and a Stratford and I live in Windsor - so, yes a lot of British influence.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM

nice tips. London is only 170 kms from my home, but it appears farther psychology. i have been here 3 times, but only to meet relatives not for tourism.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Wonderful festivals they have here in London...that's awesome - and wow they have the longest continuing baseball grounds in the world - 1877!!! Norman :)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 5:32 AM

So this is what another (I think there are more) London looks like. Lots of things to see and do there. I must say I like the sound of the original name of the river 'Askunessippi' very much.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Haha, London, Ontario mimics closely London, england with a Thames, with a Covent Garden! Ojibwa Indians remind me of my favorite kid book, "Sajo and her beavers" (is that right?), written by Grey Owl!

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Ha ha, your LOTS TO SEE & DO IN LONDON tip has a picture of an honest lawyer. Does that mean the rest of London lawyers are dishonest? I enjoyed reading up on London. We are visiting my son in 2 months.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2008 at 10:02 AM

London in America seems to have a lot to see as his European namesake. I know there are Moscows and Saint Petersburgs there as well. Amazing to read their names in the context of America... Thanks Lori for sharing!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 5:05 AM

Interesting to read about a very different London from my home city - though I see we have several place names in common, such as Covent Garden Market :)

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2007 at 3:31 AM

London at the Thames river in Canada........ I really hope we can make the trip to Canada in 2009, anxcious to see London in Canada :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 11:20 AM

I learn something new every day here on VT...London and the Thames River in Canada! Always enjoy your restaurant tips, Lori. London looks like a great place to meet up with other VT members. Another of your stellar pages.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in London