"NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE" Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara-on-the-Lake by LoriPori
Niagara-on-the-Lake Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 292 photos
People have lived in NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE for over 10,000 years and has the distinction of being the most historic town in Ontario. Many wonderful features make the town unique with a number of historic sites, award-winning wineries, first class hotels and Bed& Breakfast guest houses, superb restaurants and shops and the renowned Shaw Festival Theatres.
Hans and I really enjoyed strolling through the town along Queen Street with all its colorful shops. We also explored nearby Fort George and toured Inniskillin Winery. So if you are ever in the Niagara Falls region, be sure not to miss this historic gem.
This is the third and only surviving Court House erected for the former Niagara District . Constructed between 1846 and 1848, it was designed by a prominent Toronto architect in neoclassical style favoured for 19th century public buildings. Located on Queen Street, the NIAGARA DISTRICT COURT HOUSE or Le Palais de Justice du District de Niagara, became the Town Hall in 1862. Restored in 1981as the town's bicentennial project, the building houses a refurbished Lord Mayor's Chambers, the Chamber of Commerce and Parks Canada offices. During the Shaw Festival season, an intimate 327 seat theatre operates from within the Court House.
Popular attractions unto themselves, the shops of the picturesque Heritage District of Niagara-on-the-Lake are located in well-preserved buildings dating back to 1817. The grand boulevard of QUEEN STREET anchors this shopping area, lined with gorgeous floral plantings, historic sites and the three theatres that house the Shaw Festival. Queen Street and the adjoining side streets and courtyards, contain small, individually owned businesses where the merchandise is unique, offering everything from fashionable attire, jewellry, art and giftware to local wines and Niagara culinary products
Located at 6 Picton Street is the delightful PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL. This Victorian beauty offers 144 guest rooms. A... more travel advice
Back in 1974 INNISKILLIN ESTATE WINERY received the first estate winery licence since Prohibition. This was the... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Niagara-on-the-Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Niagara on the Lake"
- "Niagara on the Lake, is the prettiest in Ontario."
- "The loveliest town in Ontario!"
- "Flowers in Full Bloom in this Charming Old Niagara"
- "A fun Day with the 6 of us on way to Niagara on Lk"
- "Beautiful area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Hotels in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Transportation in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Restaurants in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Shopping in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- 16 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Niagara-on-the-Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Snowstorm Bearing Down on the..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Niagara-on-the-Lake travel pages
- updated a Niagara-on-the-Lake Travel Page "NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE"
- Wrote a Review PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL in Niagara-on-the-Lake Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL"
Photos in Niagara-on-the-LakeSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 112 reviews, 334 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues