"WINDSOR - MY HOME TOWN" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by LoriPori

Windsor Travel Guide: 321 reviews and 984 photos

A beautiful day at the waterfont.

I was born and raised in Windsor, Ontario. I went to grade school, high school, was married, raised our children --- all in Windsor. Though we now live just outside of Windsor city limits, near the town of Belle River, I will always consider Windsor as my "hometown".
Windsor is located in Southern Ontario, in the county of Essex and believe it or not, Windsor is south of Detroit, Michigan. The Detroit River separates our two great nations.We can either take the tunnel or the Ambassador Bridge to the U.S.
The best place to start your tour of Windsor, is along our spectacular waterfront. Five kilometres of parkland along the Detroit River are just perfect for walking, cycling or rollerblading. Be sure to admire the sculptures in the Odette Sculpture Park.Located on the waterfront, our Casino offers visitors slots blackjack, poker, great food and entertainment. Other gaming venues include many Bingo halls and Windsor Raceway and Slots.
Windsor boasts many beautiful parks, including Reaume Park, Dieppe Gardens, the Odette Sculpture Park and Jackson Park.
SHOPPING---oh yeah! I'm sure you'll find what you want at either Devonshire, Tecumseh or University Malls or our very popular Windsor Crossing which contains many big box outlets.
Essex County boasts fourteen wineries with more slated to open in the coming years.
Windsor hosts many festivals during the year, including the Carrousel of Nations and Art in the Park in June. Canada Day Celebrations at the Riverfront, featuring North America's largest fireworks event with a spectacular display over the Detroit River. Festival Epicure and Bluesfest International in July and Busker Festival in August. Plus many area community festivals throughout the summer.
I will try to inform you of what my Windsor has to offer and perhaps entice you to visit our fair city.

THE ODETTE SCULPTURE PARK

The Odette Sculpture Park is a series of art works winding along the Detroit River between the Ambassador Bridge and Church Street.. Self guided tour maps are located within the park identifying the sculptures and providing information on the sculptors.

WINDSOR'S LANCASTER BOMBER

Located in Windsor's Jackson Park, the LANCASTER BOMBER Is a tribute to the men and women who served the air force in World War II.
Known as the "Queen of The Heavy Bombers" , it was powered by four Rolls Royce Merlin Engines. Its crew usually consisted of the Pilot -- Flight Engineer -- Nose Gunner -- Navigator -- Wireless Operator -- Tail Gunner -- Mid-upper Gunner.

Update on the Lancaster
Thursday, May 27, 2005
Today, the "Lancaster" came down from its perch. Just before 10:15 a.m. two giant cranes slowly lifted the 60-year old plane off its 4.85 meter pillar and gently touched down the 15,000 kilogram plane.
Previous inspections showed exposure to the elements had deteriorated the vintage aircraft so it was decided it needed to be in a climate-controlled indoor location.
The plan is to eventually have the plane on display in a museum.

• Pros:Love my home town of Windsor
  • Cons:Absolutely none
  • Last visit to Windsor: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 20, 2012

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Hi, Lori ! There are so many splendid places to enjoy in Windsor! Thanks for your detailed and interesting page! ><><><><

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

What a lovely home town! Wonderful updates and I enjoyed them very much! Excellent page!

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2011 at 8:47 PM

hello Lori...I love the 25 reasons to love living in Windsor...btw...thank you for the postcard you sent....:) i very much appreciate it.....Would love to meet you and Hansi in Greenbelt Makati....:)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM

To walk along the river front a sunny day looks like a great way to see Windor! Just came back to read more about your hometown Lori. So many wineries there are in the Windsor area!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Superb city...worth visiting. Good work Lori!

• May 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM

could you please send me some information: when does the dinner cruise leave? How much is it? Where do I purchase tickets? Does it start off in Windsor? Please get in contact with me at ashwhisper@hotmail.com. Thank you very much for any future help.

• Darlene_O's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I love your stuff on Windsor Lori! My hubby grew up there and we are planning to move there in 2 yrs or so.. kids want to go to St Clair. :-) Your photos make me wish I had more time to visit right now.. or a job so I could move immediately!! LOL

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 5:49 AM

You certainly have plenty of attractions in your city. The river cruises sound just great and the parks and galleries all along the river look most enjoyable. Your restaurant tips have made me soo hungry!:)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM

You have always excellent restaurants updates. The Red Lobster is for me, haha! I would not have guessed that there were wine makers in this area and that it was south to Bordeaux! And you have an awful lot of wineries!

• rosie235's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM

it is now 7.16 am. so he would have landed. I saw a comment by Doug to say he was going to the airport.. I'm so excited..

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Windsor

Have you been to Windsor?

Latest Activity in Windsor