"WINDSOR - MY HOME TOWN" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by LoriPori
Windsor Travel Guide: 321 reviews and 984 photos
I was born and raised in Windsor, Ontario. I went to grade school, high school, was married, raised our children --- all in Windsor. Though we now live just outside of Windsor city limits, near the town of Belle River, I will always consider Windsor as my "hometown".
Windsor is located in Southern Ontario, in the county of Essex and believe it or not, Windsor is south of Detroit, Michigan. The Detroit River separates our two great nations.We can either take the tunnel or the Ambassador Bridge to the U.S.
The best place to start your tour of Windsor, is along our spectacular waterfront. Five kilometres of parkland along the Detroit River are just perfect for walking, cycling or rollerblading. Be sure to admire the sculptures in the Odette Sculpture Park.Located on the waterfront, our Casino offers visitors slots blackjack, poker, great food and entertainment. Other gaming venues include many Bingo halls and Windsor Raceway and Slots.
Windsor boasts many beautiful parks, including Reaume Park, Dieppe Gardens, the Odette Sculpture Park and Jackson Park.
SHOPPING---oh yeah! I'm sure you'll find what you want at either Devonshire, Tecumseh or University Malls or our very popular Windsor Crossing which contains many big box outlets.
Essex County boasts fourteen wineries with more slated to open in the coming years.
Windsor hosts many festivals during the year, including the Carrousel of Nations and Art in the Park in June. Canada Day Celebrations at the Riverfront, featuring North America's largest fireworks event with a spectacular display over the Detroit River. Festival Epicure and Bluesfest International in July and Busker Festival in August. Plus many area community festivals throughout the summer.
I will try to inform you of what my Windsor has to offer and perhaps entice you to visit our fair city.
The Odette Sculpture Park is a series of art works winding along the Detroit River between the Ambassador Bridge and Church Street.. Self guided tour maps are located within the park identifying the sculptures and providing information on the sculptors.
Located in Windsor's Jackson Park, the LANCASTER BOMBER Is a tribute to the men and women who served the air force in World War II.
Known as the "Queen of The Heavy Bombers" , it was powered by four Rolls Royce Merlin Engines. Its crew usually consisted of the Pilot -- Flight Engineer -- Nose Gunner -- Navigator -- Wireless Operator -- Tail Gunner -- Mid-upper Gunner.
Update on the Lancaster
Thursday, May 27, 2005
Today, the "Lancaster" came down from its perch. Just before 10:15 a.m. two giant cranes slowly lifted the 60-year old plane off its 4.85 meter pillar and gently touched down the 15,000 kilogram plane.
Previous inspections showed exposure to the elements had deteriorated the vintage aircraft so it was decided it needed to be in a climate-controlled indoor location.
The plan is to eventually have the plane on display in a museum.
- Pros:Love my home town of Windsor
- Cons:Absolutely none
August 14 - 19, 2013 Windsor has the privilege of hosting the 47TH INTERNATIONAL CHILDREN"S GAMES. In June, 1968. Celje,... more travel advice
Located in the Town of Tecumseh, on the north side of Riverside Drive and Manning Road, LAKEWOOD PARK NORTH just... more travel advice
- See All DINER
- See All 25 REASONS TO LOVE LIVING IN WINDSOR
- See All WINDSOR/DETROIT TUNNEL BUS
- See All SIKHS SHARE TRADITION WITH COMMUNITY
LoriPori's Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WINDSOR - MY HOME TOWN"
- "There's no Place Like Home"
- "Windsor and Essex County, Ontario"
- "Hiram Walker.'s Canadian Club Distillery."
- "Windsor Wonderland"
- "As south as you'll get in Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tacloban City Hotels
- Male Island
- North America
- Fort Myers Beach Hotels
- Honeymoon Island State Recreation Area Hotels
- Wisteria Island Hotels
- Ausable Chasm Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Chums Corner Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
- Ho Chi Minh City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 111 Reviews
- 331 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 74 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (122)
Latest Windsor hotel reviews
- St. Clair College Residence & Conference Centre
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2013
- Travelodge Windsor
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Radisson Riverfront Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Hilton Windsor
- 300 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Caesars Windsor
- 568 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Stonecroft Inn
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- ABC Motel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2013
- Quality Suites Downtown
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Kenora Motel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 29, 2013
- Holiday Inn Select Windsor
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Travelodge Hotel Windsor Downtown
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Super 8 Windsor
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- DEFUNCT CLOSED SINCE 9.30.10 Branteaney's Bed & Breakfast
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor, ON
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013