"SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK" Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park by LoriPori

Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 534 photos

SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK & SKYLINE DRIVE

Sunday, October 24, 2010
We entered SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK at the Thornton Gap Entrance Station, which was just off the U.S. Highway 211 near Luray VA
At the entrance we were charged $15.00 for an Auto/Week Pass just to drive through the Park. US Senior Citizens are charged $10.00 for the pass.
The Shenandoah National Park, in the Blue Ridge Mountains, features forest, wildlife, hiking trails, cultural sites and outstanding views along the 105 mile of the historic Skyline Drive. This mountaintop park consists of more than 197,000 acres of land and in excess of 500 miles of hiking trails, including 101 miles of the Appalachian Trail.
Along the 105-mile long Skyline Drive - a national Scenic Byway - visitors have access to 75 scenic overlook, four campgrounds, three lodging facilities and educational features. Numbered concrete mileposts on the west side of Skyline Drive help you find facilities and services. Many of the drive's Scenic Overlooks are marked with a dot, in the map that was given to you at the Park Entrance.
We entered the Park at 1:22 (time shown on our Park Pass) and we exited around 5:00 p.m. at Waynesboro, where we would look for accommodations for the night before going on to the Blue Ridge Parkway the next day.

• Last visit to Shenandoah National Park: Oct 2010
  • Intro Written Nov 11, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Love that opening shot - what a gorgeous view! We've never been to this particular park but I can see that we would enjoy it - must add it to the list :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2011 at 1:27 PM

What a great time of year to see the Shenandoah National Park! You have some beautiful photographs, Lori. Good warnings. Now, that is an economical place to stay. Good work as you always do.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Nice page! My first ever trip away from my parents, and my first ever camping trip was to Shenandoah--I was 11 yrs. old. We camped at Sherando Lake--great memories!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 4:55 AM

Fantastic view with the autumn colours on the leaves!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Good for you, Lori! I would pay a visit too....

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Shenandoah National Park

Have you been to Shenandoah National Park?

Latest Activity in Shenandoah National Park