"SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK" Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park by LoriPori
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 567 photos
Sunday, October 24, 2010
We entered SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK at the Thornton Gap Entrance Station, which was just off the U.S. Highway 211 near Luray VA
At the entrance we were charged $15.00 for an Auto/Week Pass just to drive through the Park. US Senior Citizens are charged $10.00 for the pass.
The Shenandoah National Park, in the Blue Ridge Mountains, features forest, wildlife, hiking trails, cultural sites and outstanding views along the 105 mile of the historic Skyline Drive. This mountaintop park consists of more than 197,000 acres of land and in excess of 500 miles of hiking trails, including 101 miles of the Appalachian Trail.
Along the 105-mile long Skyline Drive - a national Scenic Byway - visitors have access to 75 scenic overlook, four campgrounds, three lodging facilities and educational features. Numbered concrete mileposts on the west side of Skyline Drive help you find facilities and services. Many of the drive's Scenic Overlooks are marked with a dot, in the map that was given to you at the Park Entrance.
We entered the Park at 1:22 (time shown on our Park Pass) and we exited around 5:00 p.m. at Waynesboro, where we would look for accommodations for the night before going on to the Blue Ridge Parkway the next day.
From the beginning, National Park planners called for Shenandoah's greatest single feature to be a SKYLINE DRIVE on... more travel advice
We were looking forward to seeing some Fall Foliage and we were not disappointed. Fall colors peak between October 10... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park"
- "Shenandoah National Park, VA"
- "A Thin slice of country"
- "Worth a visit even in a foggy day!"
- "SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK"
- "Shenandoah National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shenandoah National Park
- Hotels in Shenandoah National Park
- Transportation in Shenandoah National Park
- Nightlife in Shenandoah National Park
- Restaurants in Shenandoah National Park
- Shopping in Shenandoah National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Shenandoah National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shenandoah National Park
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Shenandoah National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shenandoah National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 112 reviews, 334 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues