"MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK" Top 5 Page for this destination Monument Valley State Park by LoriPori
Monument Valley State Park Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 1,124 photos
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Located on the southern border of Utah, MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK is a region of the Colorado Plateau, characterized by a cluster of vast and iconic sandstone buttes, the largest reaching 1,000 feet above the valley floor. The Valley lies within the Navajo Nation Reservation and is accessible from U.S. Highway #163. The Navajo name for the Valley is Tse' Bii' Ndziagaii - Valley of the Rocks.
The Valley's vivid red color comes from iron oxide exposed in the weathered Cutler Red siltstone. The darker, blue-gray rocks get their color from manganese oxide.
Monument Valley has been featured in many films, such as Western by director John Ford ( #4 Overlook is named after him).
Near the entrance to the Park is a Visitor Center, with rest rooms and a large souvenir shop. Visitors pay an access fee of $5.00 U.S. per person which allows you to drive through the park on a 17-mile (27 km) unpaved dirt road. Parts of Monument Valley are only accessible by guided tour, such as Mystery Valley and Hunt's Mesa.
I was soooo looking forward to see Monument Valley for myself as I have heard and read so much about it. For sure, I was not disappointed. It was all and more than I anticipated
- Pros:A spiritual place with absolutely stunning views
- Cons:The unpaved dirt road sucks
Gnarled JUNIPER TREES add a splash of green contrast to the red sandstone terrain. Native Americans used Junipers for... more travel advice
Hands down, the iconic ARTIST'S POINT (#9 View) is absolutely stunning. It offers a panoramic view of the Valley. Peaks... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Monument Valley State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monument Valley - May You Walk In Beauty"
- "Monument Valley State Park"
- "Monument Valley"
- "Monument Valley: Time to Step Up"
- "MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK"
- "Jumping Around Monument Valley!"
- "Fabulous Cowboy Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monument Valley State Park
- Hotels in Monument Valley State Park
- Transportation in Monument Valley State Park
- Nightlife in Monument Valley State Park
- Restaurants in Monument Valley State Park
- Shopping in Monument Valley State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Monument Valley State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monument Valley State Park
- 13 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Monument Valley State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monument Valley State Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I Need to Rant"
- updated a Monument Valley State Park Travelogue "IMAGES OF MONUMENT VALLEY"
- Wrote a Review JUNIPERS & OTHER FLORA & FAUNA in Monument Valley State Park Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "JUNIPERS & OTHER FLORA & FAUNA"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Monument Valley State Park travel pages
Photos in Monument Valley State ParkSee All Photos (129)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues