"MARIETTA OHIO" Marietta by LoriPori
Marietta Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 113 photos
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Pioneers of the Ohio Company made MARIETTA the first permanent settlement in the Northwest Territory. Founded in 1788, Marietta is the state of Ohio's oldest city. It was named in honor of Marie Antoinette, the Queen of France (1755 - 1795). The municipality is in southeastern Ohio where the Muskingum River joins the Ohio River.
I found Marietta very charming, especially near the Harbor where we first saw the Valley Gem coming in on the River, to pick up the day's passengers. The Lafayette Hotel, which faces the river, is full of local history. Also across the street, you will see a plaque reading that Lafayette landed at this point in May 25, 1825.
The city also offers its River Trail and the old Railroad Bridge, which is now a pedestrian walkway that takes you to Harmar Village. We also admired the Washington County Courthouse and the Lockmaster's House. Also we were amazed at the beauty of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
So overall, we were happy that we decided to spend the afternoon here .
Located at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers, THE LAFAYETTE is the focal point of the downtown Marietta district. The Hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Hotel offers 77 unique Victorian style Rooms
Though we did not stay here, I could not resist going inside to see for myself, the grandeur of this Hotel. It was amazing, esp the Lounge. There were lots of Antiques and old photographs of bygone days at the Lafayette.
- Pros:Charming Town with lots of History
Monday October 18, 2010 I always enjoy my meals at Denny's. They have a terrific Senior's Menu - economical price & more... more travel advice
The Historic downtown district of Marietta is truly a unique shopping experience. Take a relaxing walk by brick streets... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Marietta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MARIETTA OHIO"
- "Marietta, Ohio"
- "hyperhyena's new Marietta Page"
- "A lovely Day Trip to Marietta, Ohio"
- "You Can See West Virginia From Here!"
- "Historic Marietta, Ohio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marietta
- Hotels in Marietta
- Restaurants in Marietta
- Shopping in Marietta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marietta
- 14 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Marietta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marietta
Photos in MariettaSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 115 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues