"GALLUP - LAND OF THE NAVAJO" Top 5 Page for this destination Gallup by LoriPori
Gallup Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 138 photos
Friday, September 25, 2009
Called the "Indian Capital of the World, as GALLUP, NEW MEXICO is located in the Heart of Native Indian lands - Navajo - Zuni - Hopi - many other smaller tribes.
Gallup lies on Interstate 40 (Historic Route 66) 139 miles west of Albuquerque and 25 miles east of the Arizona border.
Gallup is the largest Indian Center in the Southwest and the ceremonial capital of Native America. The most numerous of Native Indians are the Navajo, who are widely recognized for their achievements in wool, with Navajo Rugs and Blankets being much sought after by Private collectors.
The Second major Native American settlement, Zuni Pueblo, is centered 35 miles south of Gallup. Zuni are best known for their intricate jewelry made from delicately cut turquoise set in sterling silver.
Another major tribe is the Hopi, known for their pottery and unique carved Kachinas Dolls.
- Pros:Great Native Indian Craft Markets
- Cons:Downtown a bit rundown
Called the "Indian Capital of the World, as GALLUP, NEW MEXICO is located in the Heart of Native Indian lands - Navajo... more travel advice
There are at least 100 Trading Posts, Shops and Galleries in Gallup, making the town the undisputed Southwestern Center... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Gallup Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GALLUP - LAND OF THE NAVAJO"
- "My Adventures in Gallup and "Indian Country""
- "Basaic Gallup Page"
- "Vast World of Native Culture & Natural Beauty"
- "Navajo Shopping on Route 66"
- "Livin' in the High Desert"
- "Gallup, New Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gallup
- Hotels in Gallup
- Nightlife in Gallup
- Restaurants in Gallup
- Shopping in Gallup
- Warnings and Dangers in Gallup
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gallup
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Gallup?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gallup
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 115 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues