"HOBOKEN - BIRTHPLACE OF OLE BLUE EYES" Top 5 Page for this destination Hoboken by LoriPori
Hoboken Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 127 photos
Saturday, May 4, 2013
The city of HOBOKEN is part of the New York Metropolitan Area and lies on the west bank of the Hudson River.
In my research of Hoboken, I found a few interesting tidbits, that I would like to share.
When the U.S. entered World War I, Hoboken became the major point of embarkation and more than 3 million soldiers passed through the city.
The first officially recorded game of baseball took place in Hoboken in 1846.
Development of the Holland Tunnel (completed in 1927) and the Lincoln Tunnel (completed in 1937) allowed easier vehicular travel between New Jersey and New York City.
In October, 2013, Hurricane Sandy caused widespread flooding in Hoboken, with half the city flooded.
Elia Kazan's 1954 film "On the Waterfront" was shot in Hoboken.
Frank Sinatra - Ole Blue Eyes - was born in Hoboken.
Carlo's Bake Shop, which is the setting for the reality television show "CAKE
BOSS" is a local tourist attraction.
Washington Street is Hoboken's main thoroughfare.
Although Hoboken is only one square mile in size, it boasts many hip restaurants, cool bars and funky shops. Also has many wonderful brownstone building that make the city unique and desirable to live in.
Even tho, we had a short time here, I was very impressed with Hoboken.
Designated as one of 10 Great Streets for 2010, WASHINGTON STREET , the main commercial corridor, has preserved its historic character and is Hoboken's historic hub of community activity, with its unique shops, outdoor cafe's , restaurants and street fairs. 19th -century style lamp-posts, street clocks and wooden benches, contribute to the streets' charm.
Our bus group had one hour to spend in Hoboken and since Carlo's Bakery had an hour waiting line, I opted to just stroll up and down this unique street. The majestic City Hall is also on this street.
Located at 94 Washington Street between First & Newark, the HOBOKEN CITY HALL was designed by Francis George Himpler and was built in 1883.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 1, 1976. The building is a second empire structure, modified to a Beaux Art Classical design.
- Pros:Unique & Historic Main Street
Located at 205 Washington Street, in the heart of Hoboken, BLACK BEAR BAR & GRILL offers two bars on two floors, a full... more travel advice
Carlo's Bakery or CARLO'S BAKE SHOP was founded in 1910, by Carlo Guastaferro. In 1964 it was purchased by Bartalo... more travel advice
Written May 8, 2013
LORIPORI'S IMAGES OF HOBOKEN
Written May 9, 2013
LORIPORI'S IMAGES OF HOBOKEN
LoriPori's Related Pages
Hoboken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hometown!"
- "Hoboken, NJ: Birthplace of Frank SInatra"
- "HOBOKEN - BIRTHPLACE OF OLE BLUE EYES"
- "Seamandrew's Hoboken Page"
- "VT Mtg in Hoboken - Nov 16, 2003"
- "Home and Baseball"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoboken
- Transportation in Hoboken
- Nightlife in Hoboken
- Restaurants in Hoboken
- Shopping in Hoboken
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoboken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoboken
- 5 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Hoboken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoboken
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (122)
Latest Hoboken hotel reviews
- W Hoboken
- 583 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013