"SAUGATUCK / DOUGLAS" Top 5 Page for this destination Saugatuck by LoriPori
Saugatuck Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 133 photos
Hans and I visited Saugatuck on Thursday, September 12, 2013. It is a short half hour drive from South Haven.
Located in southwest Michigan, in Allegan County, SAUGATUCK, along with the adjacent town of Douglas, is a noted art colony and tourist destination.
Saugatuck was originally a lumber town and Port, but today, tourists are drawn to the art galleries, harbor, marina and its unique boutiques.
Points of interest include the Saugatuck Chain Ferry, Star of Saugatuck Paddle-wheel boat, Oval Beach, Saugatuck Dunes State Park and the view from atop Mount Baldhead.
Saugatuck's primary source of revenue is from tourism and is a prime summer weekend getaway destination for Chicago residents who are attracted by the many bed & breakfasts in the area.
Located just south of Saugatuck DOUGLAS is a village in Allegan County, Michigan. Douglas was first settled in 1851 and was a lumber mill town. It was incorporated as a village in 1870. Area sawmills provided much of the lumber needed to rebuild Chicago after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
Today, tourism is an important part of their economy.
Douglas has over 1.5 miles of coastline along the shores of Lake Michigan and over 2 miles of frontage along the Kalamazoo River. Douglas is well known for its impressive Art Galleries like Water Street Gallery pictured here.
Other points of interest include the Library, the Old School and the Village Hall.
I wandered down the main street of Douglas and at the end, came upon a lovely spot by the water, with a Gazebo .
- Pros:Two very charming & artsy towns
Located at 10 Mixer Street, downtown Douglas, is the SAUGATUCK-DOUGLAS DISTRICT LIBRARY. The Library offers books, Music... more travel advice
Located at 86 Center Street, the DUTCHER LODGE NO. 193 was chartered in 1867 and has a Plaque in front which... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Saugatuck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mid-Week Adventure"
- "Quaint Town of B&B's and boutiques"
- "The Art Coast of Michigan"
- "SAUGATUCK / DOUGLAS"
- "Gregs new Saugatuck Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saugatuck
- Hotels in Saugatuck
- Transportation in Saugatuck
- Restaurants in Saugatuck
- Shopping in Saugatuck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saugatuck
- 8 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Saugatuck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saugatuck
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues