"MOUNT PLEASANT MICHIGAN" Mount Pleasant by LoriPori

Mount Pleasant Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 67 photos

OUR FAVOURITE MICHIGAN GET- AWAY SPOT

Our favourite Michigan Get-away spot is MOUNT PLEASANT. It's about a three hour drive from our house. It has a Casino for Hansi and shopping for Lori - Walmart - Target - Meier & K-Mart. WooHoo! Our routine is always the same - Drop Hans off at the Casino - Check into our Motel - Check out the shops - Meet Hans for the Monday night Seafood Buffet at Soaring Eagle Casino - Play a few video Poker slot machines and then back later in the evening at our Motel.
So, what else does Mount Pleasant have to offer?? Well, it's home to Central Michigan University. There's a Farmer's Market held every Thursday, June to October, from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Pavillion in Island Park. The area has 15 championship Golf courses.
The area has a rich Native American Heritage and is the site of the Chippewa Indian Reservation. It's Ziibiwing Centre is dedicated to Anishinabe Culture and includes exhibits featuring the rich culture, heritage and history of the Anishinabek People of the Great Lakes. The first weekend in August there is a "POW WOW" held at the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Reservation, featuring authentic foods, arts & crafts and traditional dancing and costumes.
Also featured in these pages, is our little side trip to Houghton Lake which is about a 45 minute drive north of Mount Pleasant. We wanted to visit Janet (Janetanne) and her parents.

THE CHIPPEWA RIVER

The beauty of nature can also be observed with a trip down the MIGHTY CHIPPEWA RIVER. Whether by canoe, kayak or tube, the Chippewa River winds its way through Isabella County offering a year-round opportunity to view wildlife, do a little fishing or just relax while the river carries you away.
The accompanying picture was taken from a bridge over the Chippewa River, near Island Park in Mount Pleasant.

HOUGHTON LAKE

Michigan's largest inland Lake HOUGHTON LAKE is located in South Roscommon County just northeast of the intersection of US- 27 and M - 55. The town is quite touristy as it is a popular summer vacation destination, with lots of Indian Craft shops, great restaurants and an abundance of hotel/motels & cottages to rent. Janet and I had fun at the grounds of Zubler's Indian Crafts where we took pictures at the "Indian Village".

• Pros:A great weekend getaway destination
  • Last visit to Mount Pleasant: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2010

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2011 at 6:24 AM

What a delightful place. It has so much character there. I enjoyed your lovely tips and photo's. Nice page!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 4:13 AM

You have found a great getaway here in Mt Pleasant! Looks like a great place to go to, specially with the seafood buffet! Norman :)

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Can see why you and Hansi love the place. Would like to go up the river fishing or maybe Higgins Lake, but without the 1 million tourists. I spent 6 weeks by the mountain Lake Issik Kul in Kyrgizstan and that must be high on that list.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM

What a nice name! The name is enough for a visit and obviously, the town deserves it! As a birdwatcher, I would love it !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM

When I looked at the map, I realized I must have gone through here on the bus quite a few times on my way up to Muskegon. But I don't remember anything about Mount Pleasant, I'm afraid. Sounds nice, though.

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Nice place ! That's way Hansi wants you to take him there :-))

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Nice place LoriPori You can take me to Mount Plerasant any time you want to I like it there .

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 1:10 PM

This does seem like a perfect place for you and Hansi to visit. You've done a captivating job with these Mount Pleasant pages. Great photographs and your usual conscientious job with the narratives. Loved the travelogue.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM

This place is certainly worth a three hour drive from your house. I would like to see Chippewa Indian Reservation and Higgins Lake. Thanks Lori for sharing!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Enjoyed a virtual tour of Mt. Pleasure. Nice getaway. Even has Chinese buffet restaurant! Thanks for sharing :)

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Mount Pleasant

Have you been to Mount Pleasant?

Latest Activity in Mount Pleasant