"DETROIT" Detroit by LoriPori
Detroit Travel Guide: 686 reviews and 1,504 photos
The largest city in the State of Michigan, DETROIT is also a major port city on the Detroit River. North of my hometown of Windsor, Detroit is the only major U.S. city that looks south to Canada. Founded in 1701 by Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac.
Known as the world's automotive center, "Motor City" is home to the Big Three car companies - GM - Ford - Chrysler.
It is also here that popular music legacies began with Berry Gordy Jr. and the "Motown" sound which rose to prominence in the 60's and early 70's with acts such as Stevie Wonder, the Four Tops, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye and Martha & the Vandelas.
Can't forget the nickname "Hockeytown" home of Detroit's beloved Red Wings.
It's been years since Hans and I visited Detroit's GREEKTOWN. I do remember that we had dinner at the Old Parthenon. Now it's the New Parthenon.
Today, it is much the same. This time we came with VT member Hundertmorgen, Sandra and her friend Richard. We strolled through the neighbourhood of Greektown - actually it's a single block on Monroe Avenue off Beaubien Street. There were mostly restaurants ( where the Ouzo flows and the Souvlaki sizzles ) with names like Plaka's - Pegasus - New Parthenon - and get this - Pizza Papalis. There are Greek pastry shops, Souvenir Shops and the flashy entrance to Greektown Casino.
Not to worry about your safety. There was police presence - one on a bicycle who was warning a driver that he could not park on the street - at all!
The People Mover has a station here in Greektown
- Pros:Love Greektown - Renaissance Center - Riverwalk
The largest city in the State of Michigan, DETROIT is also a major port city on the Detroit River. North of my hometown... more travel advice
Located in Detroit's Greektown and bordered by Beaubien, Monroe, St. Antoine and E. Lafayette Streets. GREEKTOWN CASINO... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Detroit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PARIS OF THE MIDWEST. A Love Story."
- "Don't be afraid!"
- "Some Signs of Life in Motor City"
- "No Place Like Home"
- "Dog Walking Downtown Detroit"
- "Elegy for the City on the Straights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Detroit
- Hotels in Detroit
- Transportation in Detroit
- Nightlife in Detroit
- Restaurants in Detroit
- Shopping in Detroit
- Warnings and Dangers in Detroit
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Detroit
- 13 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Detroit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Detroit
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 114 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues