"BEWITCHING SALEM" Top 5 Page for this destination Salem by LoriPori
Salem Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 1,171 photos
Sunday, September 23, 2007
SALEM is a residential and tourist area which includes the neighbourhoods of Salem Neck, South Salem, North Salem and Witchcraft Heights. Most people associate the city with the Salem Witch Trials of 1692, which the city embraces both as a source of tourism and culture.
Salem also embraces its glorious maritime past. Its "Salem Marine National Historic Site" protects Salem's historic waterfront.
Other attractions include witch-related Salem Wax Museum, Salem Witch Village, Salem Witch Museum and Salem Witch House. Historic sites include the wonderful House of the Seven Gables, Derby House and Customs House.
So come along with Hans and I, and fellow VTers and hope you will have as much fun as we did.
Salem's own three-masted tall ship THE "FRIENDSHIP" is an exact replica of a 1797, 171-foot three-masted Salem East Indiaman . Constructed at Scarano Boat Building in Albany, New York. The original Friendship sailed the world, trading for exotic spices, sugar and coffee, making voyages to China, Java, Sumatra, Madras, London, Hamburg and other European ports.
The ship is open for tours at Historic Derby Wharf.
Built in 1818, the CUSTOM HOUSE in Salem is typical of the Federal Period Style of building. During the early 19th century, between 8% and 12% of the nation's revenues were collected in this building.
The "Custom House" is part of the Salem Maritime National Historic Site.
The part of the building which I really liked was the golden eagle perched at the top - absolutely beautiful.
- Pros:Fun town to spend the day
I couldn't resist doing a tip on the BUNGHOLE. It's a cool place, with a funny name, to drop in for some interesting... more travel advice
This wonderful. cobblestoned street is a popular Salem shopping area. the ESSEX STREET PEDESTRIAN MALL has something for... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Salem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RhondaRuth's Salem Page"
- "Salem on Halloween!"
- "Salem Tales"
- "BEWITCHING SALEM"
- "Witch Way do You Go"
- "A FUN DAY IN SALEM"
- "I FOUND MY TRUE WICCAN NATURE ON SALEM'S STREETS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salem
- Hotels in Salem
- Transportation in Salem
- Nightlife in Salem
- Restaurants in Salem
- Shopping in Salem
- Warnings and Dangers in Salem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salem
- 17 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Salem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salem
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues