"LOWELL - CANALS AND MILLS" Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell by LoriPori
Lowell Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 89 photos
No city offers as dramatic a view of the American Industrial Revolution as LOWELL Massachusetts. Founded by Boston Merchants in 1821-22, Lowell, named for Francis Cabot Lowell, was built as a factory city along the Merrimack River to take advantage of the waterpower potential of the Pawtucket Falls.
It was a thriving industrial center during the 19th century, attracting many immigrants and migrant workers to its mills.
The Merrimack Canal is a canal that runs through Lowell. The canal which was dug in the 1820's, begins at the Pawtucket Canal just above Swamp Locks and empties into the Merrimack River. The MERRIMACK CANAL was the first major canal to be dug at Lowell exclusively for power purposes.
Lowell's 5.6 mile canal system which weaves through the downtown and historical neighbourhoods, is both an engineering marvel and a relaxing and beautiful place for a stroll.
Luther Ladd was a 19-year old private in the 6th Massachusetts Voluntary Infantry at the start of the Civil War. As the... more travel advice
Located at 79 Dutton St., just across the Merrimack Canal, is the Lowell MASONIC TEMPLE, a white stone building with 8... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Lowell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Mill City"
- "Lowell....the textile town in America"
- "LOWELL - CANALS AND MILLS"
- "LeDragon's new Lowell Page"
- "A town that undersells itself"
- "Lowell - City of Canals"
- "A Good Stop on a Roadtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lowell
- Hotels in Lowell
- Transportation in Lowell
- Nightlife in Lowell
- Restaurants in Lowell
- Shopping in Lowell
- Warnings and Dangers in Lowell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lowell
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Lowell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lowell
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 112 reviews, 334 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues