"LOWELL - CANALS AND MILLS" Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell by LoriPori

Lowell Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 89 photos

HEART OF THE AMERICAN INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION

No city offers as dramatic a view of the American Industrial Revolution as LOWELL Massachusetts. Founded by Boston Merchants in 1821-22, Lowell, named for Francis Cabot Lowell, was built as a factory city along the Merrimack River to take advantage of the waterpower potential of the Pawtucket Falls.
It was a thriving industrial center during the 19th century, attracting many immigrants and migrant workers to its mills.

MERRIMACK CANAL

The Merrimack Canal is a canal that runs through Lowell. The canal which was dug in the 1820's, begins at the Pawtucket Canal just above Swamp Locks and empties into the Merrimack River. The MERRIMACK CANAL was the first major canal to be dug at Lowell exclusively for power purposes.
Lowell's 5.6 mile canal system which weaves through the downtown and historical neighbourhoods, is both an engineering marvel and a relaxing and beautiful place for a stroll.

• Last visit to Lowell: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2008

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 1:34 PM

A very informative page ! Beautiful Saint Anne's Church ! With the masonic temple, I thought I was mistaking and was visiting a page on Greece!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 7:31 AM

I've heard of Lowell, and knew it was the birthplace of the American Industrial Revolution, but I never knew anything about the town. Thanks for the pictures and information.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Wonderful St. Anne's Episcopal Church. Merrimack Canal as engineering marvel and a place for relaxing is attractive too. Thanks Lori for the virtual tour!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 4:22 PM

These photographs are so vivid and vibrant. Lowell seems to be a great place to visit, to stay, and to eat.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 9:06 AM

I guess Mo6 isn't that bad after all ;-) I love IHOP's pancakes, in fact I'm sure I will have some in LA this week!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Beautiful page on Lowell. I had to laugh when I saw the IHOP, I worked for IHOP many moons ago...matter of fact that is where Kris and I met 30 years ago. Nice page, Lori Love, Kat

• Oct 4, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I get homesick every time I come across a page on Lowell.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Will come back for more tips of Lowell.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Lowell