Chicago Transportation Tips by LoriPori
Chicago Transportation: 403 reviews and 399 photos
Chicago is one expensive place to park, but there are cheap places if you know where to look and a VT friend and local tells you where - thanks Kristi and David.
For Saturday's VT Meet, Hans and I needed to park our car for the day. Kristi suggested the INTERPARK STERLING SELF-PARK at 345 N. LaSalle, near Kinzie. We parked at about 10:00 a.m. as we were taking the Wendella Boats at 11:00 a.m. We had a full day including the Boat Tour, Cultural Center, Walk in Old Town and then dinner at the Adobo in Old Town, which we finished at 8:00 p.m. From the Adobo, we hailed a taxi ($7.00) to take us to the parking garage.
We inserted our parking ticket at the machine near the entrance, paid our $8.00, retrieved our validated ticket, went to our car and headed for the exit. You have to insert your validated ticket in order to get out of the garage.
From what I was able to find out, the $8.00 parking is offered from Friday 3:00 p.m. until Monday 5:00 a.m. I am not sure if it's a 12 or 24 hour period.
Phone: 312 341 3463
Type: Car/Motor Home
Chicago Water Taxi
A great way to get around Chicago's River System is to use CHICAGO WATER TAXIS.
I saw several when we were on our Boat Tour. They operate on the Chicago River, shuttling passengers between Madison Street on the South Branch; LaSalle Street and Michigan Avenue on the Main Branch; River East on the Main Branch in Ogden Slip. Water Taxis will even take you to Chinatown.
Single Ride $2.00
Single Ride Including Chinatown $4.00
All Day Pass $6.00
CTA - Chicago Transit Authority
Getting around the city of Chicago is easy, especially when accompanied by locals who actually know where they are going - thanks David and Kristi.
Almost every bus or EL train will take you downtown for $2.00.
P.S.Be prepared to get off quick as the train doesn't stop long. (I almost got stuck on the train as I was too busy yakking with Martin).
Update: June 17, 18 and 19, 2011
While attending the VT Meet in Chicago, we had the opportunity to take the EL, to get us from the Cultural Center to Old Town. Our Chicago Greeter, Jeff, led the way. Sharon prepaid our tickets at a cost of $2.25 US each.
Chicago's EL is the rapid transit system that services the city and some surrounding suburbs. It is operated by the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA).
The oldest sections of the EL started operating in 1892, making it the second oldest Rapid Transit System in the U.S., after New York City.
Although the EL got its nickname because large parts of the system are elevated, portions of the network are underground and ground level.
More Reviews (39)
LoriPori's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Explore the World
- Oteen Hotels
- Apollo Bay
- Kilbirnie Hotels
- Departamento del Valle del Cauca
- Caleruega Hotels
- Petit Nevis Island Hotels
- Province of Mindoro Oriental Transportation
- Mozambique Transportation
- Moab Transportation
- Pacific Grove Transportation
- Auckland Air Bus
- Klagenfurt Transportation
- Lawrence Transportation
- Óbidos Transportation
- Stein am Rhein Transportation
- Feldkirch Transportation
- Ibiza Transportation
- Wuhan Transportation
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 42 Reviews
- 192 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Mother Nature"
- updated a Chicago Travelogue "CHICAGO VT EVENT"
- Uploaded a Photo to "THE "EL" CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY - CTA"
- Wrote a Review TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER about History, Architecture, & Landmarks in Chicago Favorites
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Chicago travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 110 reviews, 318 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 31 reviews, 172 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (115)
Latest Chicago hotel reviews
- The Buckingham Athletic Club
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Hampton Inn Majestic Chicago
- 673 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- InterContinental Chicago
- 1519 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- AAE Chicago Parthenon Hostel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Hotel Blake
- 592 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Whitehall Hotel
- 585 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Extended Stay America Chicago- Lisle
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Lincoln Motel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- O'Hare Inn & Suites Chicago
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Raffaello Hotel
- 583 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Chicago Essex Inn
- 643 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Carlton Midway Inn Chicago
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Wheeler Mansion
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Belair Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2010
- Michigan Avenue- 86 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)- 107 Reviews, 194 Photos
- John Hancock Center- 100 Reviews, 182 Photos
- Millennium Park- 84 Reviews, 235 Photos
- Navy Pier- 106 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Lake Michigan & Lincoln Park- 52 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Art Institute- 89 Reviews, 148 Photos
- Field Museum of Natural History- 67 Reviews, 118 Photos
- Wrigley Field - Chicago Cubs- 34 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Shedd Aquarium- 54 Reviews, 97 Photos
See All Chicago Things to Do