"VENTURA" Top 5 Page for this destination Ventura by LoriPori

Ventura Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 363 photos

VENTURA

Incorporated in 1866, the city of San Buenaventura or simply VENTURA had its beginnings when Padre Junipero Serra founded the Mission San Buenaventura in 1782.
After the American Civil War, settlers came to the area, buying land from the Mexicans.
Ventura has some of the best surfing in Southern California, especially Surfer's Point.
Downtown Ventura on Main Street, where we mostly visited, is home to the Mission, museums, shopping and dining. What I couldn't get over was how many thrift shops there were. Had to be four or five stores and every one of them was well stocked and busy.
Our dear friend and VT member, Kathleen (Keida84) took us here for a nice little visit. Thanks KitKat. You're the BEST!

• Last visit to Ventura: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2008

• July2's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Interesting tips and photos of Ventura :-) Louisa

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I visited another Mission in California but missed this one! Looks very nice! The Figueroa Plaza mural is wonderful!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 5:02 AM

A very nice virtual tour of Ventura. The view looks amazing from the hill. Great photos.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I never knew much about Ventura. Thanks for the information and pictures. The mission looks like a great place to visit.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Amazing Old Wooden Bell! I think I won't find a place in Moscow with a large root beer for $1.30. Only more expensive... Thanks Lori for the virtual tour!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2008 at 6:41 AM

You could not have picked a better guide :) Those murals are a lovely! Lovely page Lori!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2008 at 5:56 AM

Another impressive page, Lori. I really loved the Streetscape project..what an idea! Grant Park Conservancy, the mural, and the museum were all great. Beautiful photographs.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Lovely photos & commentary on one of my favorite places here in Ventura. So much more to see (next time). It was a pleasure being your tour guide, you guys are the BEST!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Well Ventura was great eh Lor I am glad that Kit Kat drove us and showed us that beautiful Mission Very nice page Dahlink

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Ventura

Have you been to Ventura?

Latest Activity in Ventura