"CUBA" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba by LoriPori

Cuba Travel Guide: 5,232 reviews and 12,921 photos

CUBA

November 11 to 18, 2007
Hans and I went to Cuba for a week, staying at the all-inclusive resort - Melia Las Antilles in Varadero. I know what you're going to say - Varadero is not the real Cuba. And I couldn't agree with you more, but I do think we got a small taste of the real Cuba when we went on our tour to Havana. We did pass through Matanzas - the City of Bridges and saw some pretty spectacular scenery, especially the mountains. We saw first-hand just how much a problem transportation is for the local people. I've never seen anything like it anywhere.
We were pleasantly surprised by the visit to Havana. I did not know what to expect, even though I did do some research, there was much more to Havana. I just imagined what it was like in its prosperous times as some of the buildings, though in disrepair, were absolutely beautiful.The Spanish loved it so much, that they built two fortresses to protect it.

C -- Cuban Culture
U -- Unbelievable scenery
B -- Beautiful Beaches
A -- Adventure

CUBA

Located in the Caribbean Sea at the entrance of the Gulf of Mexico, CUBA is the largest island in the Caribbean. The Cuban archipelago is made up of the island of Cuba, the Isle of Youth and about 4,195 cays and inlets. The island of Cuba is long and narrow and its irregular coastline (7,746 kms long) has more than 200 bays and more than 300 natural beaches. There are three main mountain systems distributed in the west, middle and the east of Cuba.

• Last visit to Cuba: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 17, 2010

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Lori, just saw for the 1st time an "educational" trip to Cuba offered through a regular travel agency versus an educational institution! That reminded me that you have visited Cuba more than once so I just had to read your pages again. Unbelievable what a value you received for the price. Traveling from the US is ridiculously expensive. Still I'd like to go there!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Feb 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

We really enjoyed our trip to Cuba esp the visit to Havana. It was an interesting experience for sure. Theres no doubt in my mind that Cuba will be opened up to more Americans one day. Imagine the tourist dollare that would flow into the country.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Your tips about staying on the right side of the law..driving and staying away from the black market were excellent. Of course we Americans can't really visit Cuba, so it was nice to get a peek at something "forbidden"

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Oct 17, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Perhaps one day (soon) Americans will be allowed to go to Cuba. Perhaps when Fidel dies.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Oct 17, 2012 at 6:22 AM

that would certainly be interesting!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Thanks for the lovely tour of Cuba! Wonderful tips!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Lori, thanks for your wonderful story about that beautiful island....

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Lori, I just hope you didn't drink too many Mojitos in Cuba. I must admit that I haven't visited this part of the world yet, but Cuba is on the list just after Krakow, which I will already visit for the second time in May.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Nice overview of Cuba with many useful practical tips. These coco taxis look really cute.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Fascinating and very well-rounded insights on Cuba. Hope to go there one day and will revisit your pages. Ciao bella, Carol<(•¿•)>

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Excellent, practical information on this page! The warning tips are quite a wake-up call, & along with the shopping tip. My husband & son would love the Cuban cigars!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Lovely page, Lori. Cuba is in my wish list, and your tips are very useful..

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Very interesting Lori...sure like to try the coco taxi. Its kinda cute:)

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Cuba