"SIBIU, ROMANIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu by LoriPori
Sibiu Travel Guide: 402 reviews and 1,715 photos
Located about 282 km north-west of Bucharest, SIBIU is a city in Transylvania, Romania and is one of the most important cultural centers of Romania. The Cibin River, a tributary of the River Olt, runs through the city.
Sibiu is about 20 km from the Fagaras Mountains, 12 km from the Cibin Mountains and about 15 km from the Lotrului Mountains, so it is no surprise that the area is a popular winter holiday destination, with many ski resorts.
Sibiu consists of two distinct entities - Upper Town and the Lower Town. It also has three main squares - Grand Square - Piata Mare is the largest square of the city and has been the center since the 15th century. Lesser Square - Piata Mica - Huet Square.
Sibiu is also the site of this year's VT Euromeet 2013 and is being held the weekend of June 21, 22 & 23. Hans and I are very much looking forward to visiting this charming city and once again see old friends and make many new ones.
Without a doubt, the ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL - HOLY TRINITY is one of Sibiu's gems.Built in the style of a Byzantine Basilica, work began on the Cathedral - Catedrala Ortodoxa - in 1902 and was completed in 1904. On December 13, 1904, the four bells were placed in the two main spires ( 43 meters high - 45 meters when you include the crosses).
The exterior is in red and yellow brick. The main entrance is through a portico with three semicircular doors. The outside dome is decorated with round mosaics portraying Jesus and four Evangelists.
The interior is absolutely beautiful. The iconostasis and dome shows Christ flanked by angels.
The Cathedral is located on Strada Mitropoliei 35.
We actually had a wonderful view of the two spires, from our hotel room window. My main picture is a sunset view of the spires and the mountains.
Located in the Large Square - Piata Mare - between the Brukenthal Museum and the Roman Catholic Church, is the stunning building which houses SIBIU CITY HALL or Primariei Sibiu.
Built originally in 1906 to house the Agricultural Credit Bank, but has been the City Hall of Sibiu since 2006.
It is also used as a Tourist Information Center.
- Pros:Thoroughly enjoyed our time in Sibiu
- Cons:The weather was soooo hot!
The best preserved portion of Sibiu's medieval defences is to be found along STRADA CETATIL, where three towers and a... more travel advice
One of the most "eye-catching" characteristics of many old Sibiu buildings are the "EYES" that appear to be watching... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Sibiu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SIBIU, ROMANIA"
- "A small gem in Romania"
- "A lot of history....and not many visitors."
- "Sibiu - European Capital of Culture"
- "Place to dream and place to live in"
- "Why don't I have time enough to know Sibiu better?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sibiu
- Hotels in Sibiu
- Transportation in Sibiu
- Nightlife in Sibiu
- Restaurants in Sibiu
- Shopping in Sibiu
- Warnings and Dangers in Sibiu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sibiu
- 45 Reviews
- 252 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Sibiu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sibiu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 116 reviews, 343 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues