"WIELICZKA SALT MINE" Top 5 Page for this destination Wieliczka by LoriPori
Wieliczka Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 495 photos
Sunday May 30, 2010 - VT Group Tour to Wieliczka Salt Mine
The Historic WIELICZKA SALT MINE, located 10 km from the centre of Krakow, is the only mine in the world where mining has been continuous since the Middle Ages. It became a UNESCO World Heritage Site September 9, 1978. Every year the salt mine (we called it a Gold Mine) attracts millions of tourists from around the world.
Constructed on nine levels, these excavations stretch for 300 kilometres and reach a depth of 327 metres. To enter the first chamber, visitors have to descend the stairs (380 steps in all) at Level I which is 64 metres below ground level.
The walk through the Salt Mine takes about three hours. As you walk, you will see magnificent formations such as chapels cut in the salt (Chapel of St. Kinga situated 101 metres under the ground), underground lakes and hundreds of stalagmites and stalactites. You will see on display, the tools used by the miners when they worked underground and the many sculptures made of salt.
A vast underground city, the Salt Mine also contains a restaurant and souvenir shops. The underground chambers also serve as venues for organizing conferences, banquets, parties, concerts and even weddings.
Going back up to the surface (135 metres) you use a special express lift up the Danilowicz Shaft from Level 3. Seven people were crammed in there at once. Remember, thousands of tourists visit every day and there is only one way up. In just minutes, we were up to the surface - amazing!
This great VT Group pic is courtesy of Chris (Balfor). Thanks Chris - it's an awesome photo.
- Pros:Wonderful to be able to visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site
Located at Upper Level II and 91.0 metres underground, the HOLY CROSS CHAPEL was created to dedicate the saving of the... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
WIELICZKA SALT MINE TOUR
Written May 9, 2016
WIELICZKA SALT MINE
LoriPori's Related Pages
Wieliczka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A visit to a salt mine"
- "Amazing salt mine - Wieliczka"
- "700-year-old the Wieliczka Salt Mine"
- "The Wieliczka Salt Mine"
- "WIELICZKA SALT MINE"
- "The Wieliczka Salt Mine..."
- "Wieliczka salt mine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wieliczka
- Hotels in Wieliczka
- Transportation in Wieliczka
- Restaurants in Wieliczka
- Shopping in Wieliczka
- Warnings and Dangers in Wieliczka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wieliczka
- 3 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Wieliczka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wieliczka
- updated a Wieliczka Travel Page "WIELICZKA SALT MINE"
- Posted in Travel Cuba Forum "Re: Food in All Inclusives"
- Uploaded a Video to Wieliczka
- Wrote a Review THE HOLY CROSS CHAPEL in Wieliczka Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "THE HOLY CROSS CHAPEL"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Wieliczka travel pages
Photos in WieliczkaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 115 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues