"GROESBEEK -- LET US NOT FORGET" Groesbeek by LoriPori

Groesbeek Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 71 photos

A TRIBUTE TO THE FALLEN

It is a peaceful, serene place, yet a feeling of sadness completely overwhelmed me. There was row upon row of cold, granite tombstones, as far as the eye could see. Many with the names of 18, 19 and 20 year olds--Babies, really! I can't imagine my child, my son, my Brian, going off to war, never to come home again. It all seems so senseless and surreal.

A MOMENT OF SILENCE

Among the many tombstones, is one of interest to my family.My Uncle Bruce's brother Harold, was shot down in a plane during the War and he is buried here. His grave is XV F 10. The date--August 31, 1943. Hans and I said a little prayer and had a moment of silence for Harold.

This is a picture of Hans next to an army tank named "Robin Hood". I wanted to do my Groesbeek pictures in black and white to reflect the sombre effect of the place.

• Pros:Groesbeek is a reminder to us all that Peace often comes with a price.
  • Last visit to Groesbeek: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2004

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Your putting these pictures in black and white gave your words much greater power. It must have been quite something to see a relative there buried on foreign soil. Very moving.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 9:03 PM

I was born in Picardie, in the Somme region where there are a great many such war cemeteries mostly from WWI and a few from WWII. They are such peaceful places, now, after all these war butcheries.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 9:59 AM

Sadness, right. Sad coincidence, a catholic pope from Poland is just dying in Vatican... :-(

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2004 at 8:04 AM

What an inspiring introduction, Lori. Your words are so heartfelt and emotional. B/W photos are perfect for the mood you felt that day. Thanks so much for your honest reflections.

• palmas57's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2004 at 7:32 AM

I also think that black and white says it all in these pictures. My heart goes out to the families of these lost souls. They are with God now.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Groesbeek

Have you been to Groesbeek?

Latest Activity in Groesbeek