"VALKENBURG ZUID LIMBURG" Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg by LoriPori
Valkenburg Travel Guide: 287 reviews and 626 photos
South Limburg ( Zuid Limburg ) is made up of hills, villages and towns. The region offers a wealth of opportunities for recreation.
VALKENBURG is also known as Valkenburg aan de Geul and sometimes nicknamed the "Marlstone Town". Marl is a form of limestone found locally.
Cosy restaurants, shops, sidewalk cafe's, historic buildings and the River Geul, define the face of the town.
There are wonderful walks and cycle routes along the banks of the Geul and through woods and forests.
Hans and I visited here. He wanted to show me the town he visited as a child, when the family would sometimes vacation here.
The whole area is beautiful and so different from the rest of the Netherlands. Whereas most of Holland is flat, this area or the HEUVELLAND is known as Hill Country.
Update June 4, 2008
Hans and I visited Valkenburg once again. This time is on our way back from the Karlsruhe VT meet and touring Germany.
Built in 1281 ST. NICOLAAS & BARBARA CHURCH is entirely built of marl, a form of limestone found locally.
You can find it next to De Halder Kasteel.
On the church grounds were very beautiful gardens, featured in the main pic.
High up on Heunsberg Hill lies the RUINS OF AN ANCIENT CASTLE or "Kasteelruine".
This medieval marlstone Castle was built in the early 1100's and destroyed in 1672 by Willem III.
It is the only hilltop fortress in the Netherlands and from there you will have magnificent views of Valkenburg and the Geul Valley.
- Pros:So different than the rest of the Netherlands -- Hilly not Flat
As we were just arriving back in the Netherlands, after driving most of the day from Bamberg, Germany, we were wondering... more travel advice
As Hans and I drove through the hilly countryside in South Limburg, we came across a sign that read KASTEEL SCHALOEN and... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Valkenburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xmas and more in Valkenburg"
- "VALKENBURG ZUID LIMBURG"
- "Valkenburg, Marlstone, Tourists, many attractions!"
- "A weekend in Valkenburg ..."
- "Just a great please to spend a weekend !!!"
- "Valkenburg, the marlstone town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valkenburg
- Hotels in Valkenburg
- Transportation in Valkenburg
- Nightlife in Valkenburg
- Restaurants in Valkenburg
- Shopping in Valkenburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Valkenburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valkenburg
- 12 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Valkenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valkenburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 115 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues