"OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid by LoriPori

Ohrid Travel Guide: 893 reviews and 2,956 photos

OHRID - UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE

May 20 to 31, 2011
Located on the eastern shore of Lake Ohrid, in the Republic of Macedonia, OHRID is the 7th largest city in the country. Ohrid was once known for having 365 churches - one for each day of the year.
Nestled between high mountains and the turquoise waters of Lake Ohrid, the town, with its Mediterranean climate, vast history and heritage, is rich in picturesque houses, churches and monuments, making it an internationally favourite tourist destination and also the site of this year's Virtual Tourist Euromeet 2011.
Ohrid boasts numerous hotels in all price ranges and bars & restaurants which line the waterfront and the old town. In 1980, Ohrid and Lake Ohrid became a UNESCO Heritage Site.
Ohrid is definitely a jewel in Macedonia's crown and Hans and I thoroughly enjoyed our 11 days there.

ST. JOVAN AT KANEO CHURCH

Monday, May 23
Today we made the trek to Ohrid's iconic Church ST. JOVAN AT KENEO or Sveti Jovan Kaneo. Its beauty is in its location, high on a cliff with breathtaking views overlooking Lake Ohrid. Hans and I made our way along the boardwalk along the beach and came to the many steep steps leading up to St. Jovan. It was very tiring but sooooo worth it. The views were amazing.
St. Jovan is a Macedonian Orthodox Church. The construction date is unknown, but documents suggest that it was built before the year 1447. The church was built in the shape of a cruciform with a rectangular base. Inside are well-preserved frescoes including a portrait of St. John the Theologian, patron of the church.

Be sure to watch the St. Jovan at Kaneo Video that my Hansi produced. It gave me goose bumps, esp with the beautiful Macedonian music in the background. Enjoy!

• Pros:Absolutely Loved our stay here in beautiful Ohrid
  • Last visit to Ohrid: May 2011
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

This looks like a wonderful place to visit and a great site for a VT meeting.
    Here's another tip about traditional paper making by hand, this time in Sweden:
    "Magnificent hand dipped paper, Lessebo" - Sweden Things to Do Tip by Trekki

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Apr 27, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Hans and I really enjoyed our time in Ohrid and the VT Meeting was also very nice. We also got to see quite a bit of this country of Macedonia thanks to Valentina.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Lori, I have to say that your pages about Ohrid really intrigued me. I will definitely be considering this place, it looks fabulous! The location of the St Jovan church is gorgeous, that picture is just stunning! But this seems like a destination that has much in the way of cultural attractions, lots of color. Were the museums good? I'm getting the impression there is a great deal of Turkish influence there? Super pages Lori, well done!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I think my enjoyment of the whole experience shines through. Also you will be pleased with how far your money goes here. Restaurants and hotels in general are very economical as is transportation. And the country itself is not that big.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

The Church ST. JOVAN AT KANEO and Sofia are so beautiful. The boardwalk looks fantastic too! You have such wonderful pages. I enjoy them.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Great page on this lovable gem!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM

I have really enjoyed reading this page and viewing the nice photo's. I would be like you and Hansi, walking the boardwalk every day, so nice! The souvenirs look good, and those brightly coloured boats reminded me of Malta. Sounds like you had a great time.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2011 at 4:24 AM

Super page Lori - made me wish even more that I'd been able to get to the meeting. Love the churches, the boardwalk and the old cobble streets especially :-)

• Jun 22, 2011 at 7:37 AM

the city is very beautiful with its old architecture. The lake is picturesque as well as boats are so differebt in style :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Lake Ohrid as well as the town itself are wonderful! I believe you have had a very interesting and pleasant VT-meeting there (travelogues!). Thank you Lori for sharing!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Lori, fabulous page about Ohrid, which we liked a lot. I think the taxi metre of our taxi to the bus station showed exactly the same price as yours: 91.46 Denars. *winkygrin*

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Amazing!!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Ohrid