"OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid by LoriPori
Ohrid Travel Guide: 898 reviews and 2,979 photos
May 20 to 31, 2011
Located on the eastern shore of Lake Ohrid, in the Republic of Macedonia, OHRID is the 7th largest city in the country. Ohrid was once known for having 365 churches - one for each day of the year.
Nestled between high mountains and the turquoise waters of Lake Ohrid, the town, with its Mediterranean climate, vast history and heritage, is rich in picturesque houses, churches and monuments, making it an internationally favourite tourist destination and also the site of this year's Virtual Tourist Euromeet 2011.
Ohrid boasts numerous hotels in all price ranges and bars & restaurants which line the waterfront and the old town. In 1980, Ohrid and Lake Ohrid became a UNESCO Heritage Site.
Ohrid is definitely a jewel in Macedonia's crown and Hans and I thoroughly enjoyed our 11 days there.
Monday, May 23
Today we made the trek to Ohrid's iconic Church ST. JOVAN AT KENEO or Sveti Jovan Kaneo. Its beauty is in its location, high on a cliff with breathtaking views overlooking Lake Ohrid. Hans and I made our way along the boardwalk along the beach and came to the many steep steps leading up to St. Jovan. It was very tiring but sooooo worth it. The views were amazing.
St. Jovan is a Macedonian Orthodox Church. The construction date is unknown, but documents suggest that it was built before the year 1447. The church was built in the shape of a cruciform with a rectangular base. Inside are well-preserved frescoes including a portrait of St. John the Theologian, patron of the church.
Be sure to watch the St. Jovan at Kaneo Video that my Hansi produced. It gave me goose bumps, esp with the beautiful Macedonian music in the background. Enjoy!
- Pros:Absolutely Loved our stay here in beautiful Ohrid
There are many LITTLE CHAPELS scattered in and around Ohrid. The one I am highlighting and picturing here, is the Chapel... more travel advice
Hans and I walked on THE BOARDWALK many times. It's such a beautiful spot, with great views of Lake Ohrid. It's so quiet... more travel advice
- MONASTERY OF SAINT NAUM
- See All WALK ALONG OHRID'S WONDERFUL PROMENADE
- See All VENUE FOR OFFICIAL VT DINNER
LoriPori's Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Sveti Jovan Kaneo - "Before the Rain""
- "SECOND OFFICIAL VT DINNER IN OHRID"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 28 Reviews
- 164 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Do you know your neighbours?"
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Ohrid travel pages
- updated a Ohrid Travel Page "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- Uploaded a Photo to "FAREWELL DINNER FOR EUROMEET2011"
- Wrote a Review LITTLE CHAPELS in Ohrid Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Ohrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 113 reviews, 338 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues