"TEMPLE OF POSEIDON - SOUNION" Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio by LoriPori

Sounio Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 391 photos

TEMPLE DEDICATED TO THE GOD OF THE SEAS

The 5th century B.C. TEMPLE OF POSEIDON , perched atop the cliffs above Cape Sounion is 65 km (43 miles) south-east of Athens. Cape Sounion is the southernmost point of Attica. Fifteen of the temples's original 34 columns are still standing.
Try to find the spot on one column where Lord Byron carved his name.
Hans, Janet and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit here. The drive along the Saronic coast was amazing and the Temple was certainly the highlight of the day. Thanks so much Janet for bringing us here to this special place.

• Pros:Absolutely wonderful
  • Last visit to Sounio: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 13, 2007

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2012 at 4:34 AM

When you visited these ancient temples,,did they have a description of what you were looking at? The temple surrounded on three sides by ocean mmm now that would be something special to see for sure.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Nov 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Actually there was no explanation or plaques telling about the temple. I had to do my own research when I got home. A very cool thing was that we sailed right past the Sounio Temple during our sailboat adventure to Santorini.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Nov 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM

oh nice!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM

We made it to Cape Sounio on our recent trip--- the Temple was magnificent but the gods must have been raging because the winds nearly blew us over!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Hola Lori- wonderful photos on this interesting place.Its so amazing that these ancient temples are still in such good condition. I would love to see them! The swordfish sounds yummy.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM

I ate here, too, and also thought it was very pricey...

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I've only been to the wind swept poseidon temple for sunset.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Never had swordfish steak, but seems extremely pricey ;-)

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2007 at 8:50 AM

One of the things I love about Greece is the ancient temples high on hills overlooking the Aegean.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Continuing to enjoy my virtual trip through Greece with you Lori :) But you don't tell us whether you found the spot where Byron carved his name!! Oh, and I LOVE swordfish :)

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 3:00 AM

I'm not surprised by the price of swordfish in Greece; this fish was always scarce in the Aegean sea as we found out already 30 years ago. Pricey but so good.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 4:51 PM

So did you see where Lord Byron carved his name? Or is that just another Greek Myth? ;-)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
      Mar 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM

no its not a myth but some claim that it's not sure he was the one that did it :)

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Sounio