"THE ANCIENT ACROPOLIS OF MYCENAE" Top 5 Page for this destination Mycenae by LoriPori

Mycenae Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 317 photos

THE CITADEL OF MYCENAE

Located 50 km ( 31 miles ) south of Corinth and 115 km ( 71 miles ) southwest of Athens. The ancient Acropolis of Mycenae can be found in the north-east part of Peloponnisos in Argolis.
The German archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann began to excavate at MYCENAE in 1874.
People settled here as long ago as 3000 B.C. Mycenae lays between two protective mountains and is a superb natural citadel. The site overlooks one of the richest plains in Greece.
Be sure to see the Citadel, Lions Gate, Grave Circle A and the Treasury of Atreus (Tomb of Agamemnon)

• Last visit to Mycenae: May 2007
  • Intro Written Jun 13, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

You are a great world traveller I must say! Lori, your views are fantastic! Thanks fior sharing here! ><><><><

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Lovely Mycenae travel page with stunning photographs. The North Gate, Grave Circle A and the Lions Gate certainly worth visiting. Thanks for visiting our Luxembourg travel page. ~ho & pang

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I also liked that lion's gate and yes it was photogenic - I stood under it for some minutes and made a wish...hehehe...Norman :)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Mycenae sounds to be an interesting place to visit, and I hope to go there one day, and to see the Lions Gate!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Your tips bring back memories of a very interesting afternoon I spent in Mycenae many years ago. I remember those lions on the Lions Gate.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2008 at 6:09 AM

Hi Lori - hadnt planned to visit this place and ended up taking about 2 hours to see it - glad I did!and nice to see your page here thanks!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Thanks Lori for bringing back pleasant memories about this place which is considered "ancient" Mycenae. I missed this your page when you put it and found when began working at my own page. How few rated pages on this location. Till meeting here next week!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Great page of Mycenae - what a marvellous civilization. SL :)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 6:01 AM

I think I need more time in Greece after reading this great page ;-)

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 3:36 PM

I've never heard of Mycenae. Thanks for the information and pictures.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Mycenae

Have you been to Mycenae?

Latest Activity in Mycenae