"FIRA - CHARMING CYCLADIC VILLAGE" Top 5 Page for this destination Fira by LoriPori
Fira Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 497 photos
As you approach Santorini by Ferry, or in our case by sailboat, you can see the whitewashed clifftop villages of Oia and FIRA. Then the Ferry enters the Caldera. The cliff walls rise steeply on both sides formed of red, yellow and ochre rock and whose surface is the shimmering blue Aegean. About 3600 years ago, the center of the island was blown away in a colossal volcanic eruption, leaving behind a circular depression in the sea floor and the crescent-shaped sliver of rock known as Santorini. The best place to view the Caldera is the walking path between Fira and Oia.
Fira is the island's capital and busiest commercial town. It is teeming with hotels, restaurants and shops. The evening stroll (Volta) along Odos M. Nomikou, follows the edge of the Caldera and is one of the most exquisite in the Cyclades.
Hans and I enjoyed Fira very much. It's such a lively town and beauty lies at every turn.
- Pros:Absolutely loved it here
- Cons:Too many tourists! hehe!
Public Buses (KTEL) are reasonably priced and efficient and the bus station was a short walk from our Hotel. Friday... more travel advice
The traditional village of OIA 11 km to the north of Fira, is a place of incomparable beauty. The unique appeal of Oia... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Fira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SANTORINI - See Most Spectacular Sights of Greece."
- "Fira - The City of the Cliff"
- "FIRA - CHARMING CYCLADIC VILLAGE"
- "Chill time on the crater's edge"
- "Nice Place to Relax"
- "Beautiful Fira on Beautiful Santorini!!"
- "SANTORINI (THIRA)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fira
- Hotels in Fira
- Transportation in Fira
- Nightlife in Fira
- Restaurants in Fira
- Warnings and Dangers in Fira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fira
- 10 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Fira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fira
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 113 reviews, 338 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues