Prague Local Custom Tips by LoriPori

Prague Local Customs: 352 reviews and 429 photos

Changing of the Guard - Prague

Changing of the Guard

CHANGING OF THE GUARD AT PRAGUE CASTLE

When we arrived at Prague Castle, we were just in time to witness the CHANGING OF THE GUARD. At the front gates there were two very cute, very nattily dressed guards standing in their little guardhouses. People were taking pictures with them and I don't know how they managed to keep a straight face. Then there was some commotion behind them and we could see that some new replacements were coming. Cool or what! Amid some great pomp and ceremony, the two cute guards were replaced by two more cute guards. This ceremony takes place on the hour.

• Written Aug 28, 2005
Lady Touching the Golden Dog - Prague

Lady Touching the Golden Dog

TOUCH THE GOLDEN DOG

It is a local custom to stop at the statue of St. John Nepomuk located on the Charles Bridge. We saw all these people lining up in front of the statue to TOUCH THE GOLDEN DOG. A panel located beneath the statue depicts a soldier and his dog and for some strange reason if you rub it and make a wish, your wish will come true. OK I'm game. I rubbed it. My wish for it to stop raining didn't come true. I think it's just a ploy from the city public works department to keep the statues clean as this was the only clean spot on the whole statue. Duh!

• Written Aug 28, 2005

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Prague