Prague Local Custom Tips by LoriPori
Prague Local Customs: 352 reviews and 429 photos
Changing of the Guard
When we arrived at Prague Castle, we were just in time to witness the CHANGING OF THE GUARD. At the front gates there were two very cute, very nattily dressed guards standing in their little guardhouses. People were taking pictures with them and I don't know how they managed to keep a straight face. Then there was some commotion behind them and we could see that some new replacements were coming. Cool or what! Amid some great pomp and ceremony, the two cute guards were replaced by two more cute guards. This ceremony takes place on the hour.
Lady Touching the Golden Dog
It is a local custom to stop at the statue of St. John Nepomuk located on the Charles Bridge. We saw all these people lining up in front of the statue to TOUCH THE GOLDEN DOG. A panel located beneath the statue depicts a soldier and his dog and for some strange reason if you rub it and make a wish, your wish will come true. OK I'm game. I rubbed it. My wish for it to stop raining didn't come true. I think it's just a ploy from the city public works department to keep the statues clean as this was the only clean spot on the whole statue. Duh!
More Reviews (62)
- See All My answer to a Prague Forum Question -
- See All GRAND HOTEL EUROPA
- See All CHECK YOUR RESTAURANT BILL
- PRAGUE BY NIGHT
LoriPori's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "WOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!"
- "prague czech republic"
- "Prague-One of Europe's Best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 64 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 66 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
- Posted in Travel Cleveland Forum "Re: Amish country what not to..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Prague travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "My answer to a Prague Forum Question -"
- Wrote a Review My answer to a Prague Forum Question - in Prague Things to Do
- updated a Prague Travel Page "LORIPORI'S WALKING TOUR OF PRAGUE"
Photos in PragueSee All Photos (153)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (114)
- Charles Bridge- 435 Reviews, 796 Photos
- Old-Town Hall & Astronomical Clock- 295 Reviews, 487 Photos
- Castle- 372 Reviews, 668 Photos
- St Vitus's Cathedral- 302 Reviews, 540 Photos
- Wenceslas Square- 150 Reviews, 261 Photos
- Torture Museum- 14 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Old-Town Square- 265 Reviews, 497 Photos
- Church of Our Lady before Tyn- 131 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Castle Guard- 67 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Vltava river and bridges- 90 Reviews, 192 Photos
See All Prague Things to Do