Prague Tourist Trap Tips by LoriPori
Prague Tourist Traps: 303 reviews and 181 photos
Restaurant Menu Board
Always CHECK YOUR RESTAURANT BILL. Tourists sometimes get cheated. It is customary to charge for that basket of bread and butter they casually place on your table. We paid 60 CZK or $3.00 CDN or $2.50 US extra most of the time. If you know about it, it's not such a big deal, but if you're not aware, it's a little annoying.
Sometimes, not always, they automatically include service - usually 10%, which is acceptable, but again check your bill.
And don't forget, 19% VAT is also included in your bill. No wonder we didn't find Prague restaurants that much of a bargain.
Unique Suggestions: The accompanying picture shows a Restaurant with a clearly written Menu Board, which we really appreciated and often were attracted to, especially for lunch. The different menus of the day specified what you received and what you had to pay. There were usually three or four options. Again these small but cozy little restaurants, were usually in side streets away from the touristy areas.
Old Town Square
The open-air restaurants on the Old Town Square were very overcrowded and by looking at their menus, also very overpriced. If you like to people watch while you eat or drink, this is the place for you but prepare to pay. Better yet, you can just head for the little streets that lead away from the Old Town Square and find little restaurants that I think are much cozier and better value.
We found the average price for a coffee/soda/beer to be 50CZK or $2.50 CDN or $2.00 US.
Vitava River Boat Cruises
Although a VITAVA RIVER BOAT CRUISE may sound like a great idea, be aware that it's not such a big deal. One would think you would be going all along the Vitava River and travel under the 18 bridges, making it a very lovely boat trip. In fact they just go a short distance and go under just three or four bridges. Since there is a little waterfall in the river, it restricts how far they can go. Hans and I watched in amazement as the boats just went around in circles and said "Is that it?" and were glad we decided not to bother. The boat trips are often part of the Prague City Tours.
More Reviews (61)
- See All My answer to a Prague Forum Question -
- See All GRAND HOTEL EUROPA
- PRAGUE BY NIGHT
- See All SIGHTSEEING TOURS IN OLD PRAGUE
LoriPori's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "prague czech republic"
- "WOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!"
- "Prague-One of Europe's Best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 64 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 68 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: ANYONE ELSE FOLLOWED IN..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Prague travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "My answer to a Prague Forum Question -"
- Wrote a Review My answer to a Prague Forum Question - in Prague Things to Do
- updated a Prague Travel Page "LORIPORI'S WALKING TOUR OF PRAGUE"
Photos in PragueSee All Photos (153)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (121)
- Charles Bridge- 435 Reviews, 796 Photos
- St Vitus's Cathedral- 302 Reviews, 540 Photos
- Old-Town Hall & Astronomical Clock- 295 Reviews, 487 Photos
- Castle- 372 Reviews, 668 Photos
- Wenceslas Square- 150 Reviews, 261 Photos
- Old-Town Square- 265 Reviews, 496 Photos
- Vltava river and bridges- 90 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Church of Our Lady before Tyn- 131 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Golden Lane- 111 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Petrin Tower- 60 Reviews, 124 Photos
See All Prague Things to Do