Prague Favorite Tips by LoriPori
Prague Favorites: 680 reviews and 744 photos
Astronomical Clock in Old Town
Favorite thing: Located in central Europe, the CZECH REPUBLIC has boundaries with Poland to the north, Austria to the south, Germany to the west and the Slovak Republic to the east. Tourist facilities are rapidly approaching the level of those found in most European countries. Outside of Prague, these facilities are less developed.
The Czech Republic experiences all four seasons and has a mixture of oceanic and continental climates with the coastal influences prevailing. Heavy showers are frequent in summer (tell me about it),.
Czech Korun (crown ) (CZK) =100 haleru.
Never change money with anyone on the street - it is illegal, the rate of exchange is not much better and you can easily be swindled. ATMS are located throughout Prague. Shops and restaurants, especially in Prague, will accept most major credit cards.
220 volts, 50 cycles. A converter and a plug adapter (plugs have two rounded prongs) is required for us Canadians.
Prague Street Scene
Favorite thing: I thought it would be useful for my fellow Canadians to have some information pertaining to them. You never know if it comes in handy.
Canadian citizens require a valid Canadian passport. The passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the date of your expected departure from the country. Travellers 15 years of age and older must have their own passport. Travellers staying in private accommodations for longer than 30 days must register at the Czech Alien Police Station within three days of arrival. Hotel guests are normally registered by their hotel at check in.
The Canadian Embassy
Muchova # 6
Prague, Czech Rapublic
tel: (420) 27210-1800
HEALTH & MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
No vaccinations are required. Routine immunizations should be up-to-date ( i.e. tetanus-diphtheria, polio, etc.)
Good medical care is available. However, doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services.
Visitors may import 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco. 1 litre of spirits and 2 litres of wine. 50g of perfume, gifts up to a value of CZK3,000. Tobacco and alcohol allowances are only for persons over 18 years of age.
Grand Hotel Europa
Favorite thing: Located in Wenceslas Square is the elegant GRAND HOTEL EUROPA. This grand old lady has seen better days. If you get the chance to go inside, you will see the gorgeous art neuveau dining room.
The Hotel is surrounded by name brand shops and elegant restaurants and is located at Vaclavske Namesti 25.
Favorite thing: As Hans and I walked along the Vitava River toward the Centrum, we came across this very unusual structure. Known as the fred and ginger house, because it looks like two people dancing, the TANCICI DUM or "DANCING HOUSE " was designed by the architect Frank O. Gehry. I'm not sure if it was an apartment or a commercial building, but it sure was cool and very innovative.
Located in Praha 2
NB I have since learned that it is the Prague headquarters of ING, the Dutch Insurance Group.
Favorite thing: Within walking distance from our apartment, as we were in Praha 2, is the amazing area known as VYSEHRAD. Making up Vysehrad is the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Slavin Cemetery, and beautiful grounds surrounding the Church.
Founded in 1869 "Vysehrad" is the final resting place to some of the Czech Republic's most famous figures.
Tribute to Franz Lafka
Favorite thing: A troubled and enigmatic genius, FRANZ KAFKA was born, brought up, lived and worked in the Old town.
This tribute to Kafka who died in 1924, is in the Jewish Quarter near the Spanish Synagogue.
"Prague doesn't let go, either of us. This old town has claws. One has to yield or else. We would have to set fire to it on two sides, at Vysehrad and the Castle: only then would it be possible for us to get away" Franz Kafka
Favorite thing: Situated in Lesser Town is ST. NICHOLAS CHURCH is among the leading baroque constructions in Europe and is usually defined as being the most beautiful building of Czech baroque. A number of excellent Baroque artists contributed to the spectacular decor. Rare materials decorated with gilding and rich linings of artificial marble is present in the entire church.
The church is dominated by the Main nave. Its vault is covered by a fresco by Jan Lukas Kracker, depicting the life of St. Nicholas and dates back to 1760.
The late baroque organ was built by Tomas Schwarz during 1745 -46.
Favorite thing: In the early 20th century, the Jewish neighbourhood was almost completely demolished. Many buildings were replaced and built in the JUGENDSTIL style of architecture.
The accompanying picture shows one such beautiful building in the "Jugendstil - Style" of architecture. It was located in the Josefov Section of Prague right across from the Old-New Synagogue. It appeared to me, to be a very expensive apartment building.
Jan Hus Monument
Favorite thing: Dedicated to the 14th century revolutionary is the JAN HUS MONUMENT , located in Old Town Square.
The Jan Hus Monument was unveiled in 1915 to mark the 500th anniversary of the death of Jan Hus at the stake after being declared a heretic.
The sculpture of the fervent Czech nationalist is by Ladislav Saloun.
Facade of St. Jacob
Favorite thing: Located two blocks east of Old Town Square, past Our Lady Before Tyn isST. JACOB CHURCH or SV JAKUB. Though it was closed when we were there, Hans and I did peer into the window at the entrance to the Church and did see a very lovely interior with its high ceilings and beautiful paintings.
The accompanying picture is of the beautiful Baroque facade of St. Jacob. It was difficult to get a proper picture of it as there was a narrow street in front of it.
More Reviews (45)
- See All My answer to a Prague Forum Question -
- See All CHECK YOUR RESTAURANT BILL
- PRAGUE BY NIGHT
- See All SIGHTSEEING TOURS IN OLD PRAGUE
LoriPori's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "prague czech republic"
- "Prague-One of Europe's Best"
- "Golden City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tempe Hotels
- Kampong Salak Tinggi Hotels
- Glacier National Park Hotels
- Saugus Hotels
- Rangitoto Island
- Mill Valley
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 64 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 68 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Mother Nature"
- Commented on one of JessH's Prague travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "My answer to a Prague Forum Question -"
- Wrote a Review My answer to a Prague Forum Question - in Prague Things to Do
- updated a Prague Travel Page "LORIPORI'S WALKING TOUR OF PRAGUE"
Photos in PragueSee All Photos (153)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 110 reviews, 318 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 31 reviews, 172 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (115)
Latest Prague hotel reviews
- Hotel Hastal Prague Old Town
- 317 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Globus Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Jilska Residence Apartments
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 4, 2013
- Hotel U Divadla
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Krystal Hotel Prague
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel U Krize
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013
- U Semika
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Pension U Lilie
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Amadeus Hotel and Residence Prague
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Raffaello Hotel Prague
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Wenceslas Aparthotel Melantrich Prague
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2012
- Hotel Andel Prague
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Alchymist Grand Hotel and Spa Prague
- 767 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Axa Hotel
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2012
- Atos Hotel Prague
- 264 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Charles Bridge- 425 Reviews, 756 Photos
- St Vitus's Cathedral- 297 Reviews, 518 Photos
- Castle- 365 Reviews, 641 Photos
- Old-Town Hall & Astronomical Clock- 288 Reviews, 465 Photos
- Wenceslas Square- 145 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Old-Town Square- 235 Reviews, 411 Photos
- Lesser Town- 86 Reviews, 159 Photos
- Golden Lane- 111 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Church of Our Lady before Tyn- 130 Reviews, 209 Photos
- Vltava river and bridges- 75 Reviews, 141 Photos
See All Prague Things to Do