"DIE ROMANTISCHE STRASSE" Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber by LoriPori

Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Guide: 601 reviews and 1,864 photos

ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER

Tuesday, June 3, 2008
One of the cities on the Romantische Strasse - Romantic Road, ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER has preserved vestiges of its Medieval importance. A series of walls and towers defended the city over the ages. The inner wall, built prior to the 13th century, still remains. Stairwells ascend to the top of the walls at intervals and the entire wall can be walked with amazing views of the Altstadt or Old Town. The town is very charming with its winding, cobbled stone lanes, lined with picturesque half-timbered houses.
Hans and I truly enjoyed our visit here. I have put together a lovely page on Rothenburg. I think my fondness will show through - it's pure Medieval Magic!

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

I have just created my very first video and it's about Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Actually it's a slide show with music, featuring all my favourite Rothenburg pics. Enjoy!

RATHAUS - GOTHIC & RENAISSANCE

On the west side of Marktplatz is the Renaissance RATHAUS or TOWN HALL ( circa 1572 - 1578 ). On Herrngasse is the rear Gothic part of the Rathaus which dates from 1250. This white building served as the Seat of Government for the city-state during the Medieval Ages and for Rothenburg, since the formation of the Federalist Government.
The Gothic part includes the Imperial Hall and the 50 meter ( 165 feet ) high tower (Rathausturm) from which you have great views of the town.
The Renaissance part includes a large stoned portico (Circa 1681) opening onto the square.

THE OLD FORGE

In my opinion, the OLD FORGE is the most charming structure in Rothenburg, with its steep gables and half-timbered facade.

• Pros:Medieval Magic!!!
  • Last visit to Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2008

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Hans and I really enjoyed our time in Rothenburg. It has all the elements I love in a German town - walkable - charming - photogenic. You really should go if you get the chance. Thanks Don for stopping by.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I often visit other towns in the Tauber Valley, especially Weikersheim, but somehow I have never gone to Rotenburg even though it is just another thirty or so kilometers up the valley. It certainly looks interesting in your photos and tips.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM

What a charming old town! Looks like a lovely place to stroll around in for a day or two.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Mar 24, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I had read about Rothenburg and knew I had to see it for myself and was not disappointed. It is a beautiful and charming old town for sure. Thanks for stopping by Malena.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Thanks for your wonderful page, Lori! This city looks very romantic indeed...

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM

So did Mayor Nusch survive the challenge of gallon of wine? Maybe he died happy? Thanks for this Germany is often overlooked I think as a holiday destination but there's some great places there. Mike

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I was in Rothenburg years ago but had no camera with me. Thanks for the memories.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM

If you liked Rothenburg you will love the Alsace with a similar architecture and great on the gourmet side.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I've watched your updating on this page. I wrote in July of 2008 "Excellent page with fabulous images and useful info! Really this city is one of the most beautiful German sights." Now I can confirm it after my visiting this town this year.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Although very touristy, still a very beautiful place close to my old hometown. Your pictures bring back the memories. BTW The Steiff factory and museum in Giengen/Brenz is only 100 km south of Rothenburg. Best wishes, Sissi

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 2:59 AM

A wonderful page Lori, I can understand you taking so many photos, I would too! The xmas shop, how I would like to be there and get some different decorations, just so much of interest on this page!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Have you been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber?

Latest Activity in Rothenburg ob der Tauber