"DIE ROMANTISCHE STRASSE" Top 5 Page for this destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber by LoriPori
Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Guide: 611 reviews and 1,909 photos
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
One of the cities on the Romantische Strasse - Romantic Road, ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER has preserved vestiges of its Medieval importance. A series of walls and towers defended the city over the ages. The inner wall, built prior to the 13th century, still remains. Stairwells ascend to the top of the walls at intervals and the entire wall can be walked with amazing views of the Altstadt or Old Town. The town is very charming with its winding, cobbled stone lanes, lined with picturesque half-timbered houses.
Hans and I truly enjoyed our visit here. I have put together a lovely page on Rothenburg. I think my fondness will show through - it's pure Medieval Magic!
I have just created my very first video and it's about Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Actually it's a slide show with music, featuring all my favourite Rothenburg pics. Enjoy!
On the west side of Marktplatz is the Renaissance RATHAUS or TOWN HALL ( circa 1572 - 1578 ). On Herrngasse is the rear Gothic part of the Rathaus which dates from 1250. This white building served as the Seat of Government for the city-state during the Medieval Ages and for Rothenburg, since the formation of the Federalist Government.
The Gothic part includes the Imperial Hall and the 50 meter ( 165 feet ) high tower (Rathausturm) from which you have great views of the town.
The Renaissance part includes a large stoned portico (Circa 1681) opening onto the square.
In my opinion, the OLD FORGE is the most charming structure in Rothenburg, with its steep gables and half-timbered facade.
- Pros:Medieval Magic!!!
The White Tower or WEISSERTURM was part of the original fortifications before the city expanded. This picture was taken... more travel advice
Located on Herrngasse 1, right next to Kathe Wohlfahrt is the DEUTSCHES WEIHNACHTSMUSEUM or GERMAN CHRISTMAS... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the most romantic towns in Europe"
- "Up the Romantic Road to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber.."
- ""Most German of German towns""
- "DIE ROMANTISCHE STRASSE"
- "TOURIST'S LOVE ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER!"
- "Not touched since 1600, re-virginized"
- "Romantic Rothenburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Hotels in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Transportation in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Nightlife in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Restaurants in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Shopping in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Warnings and Dangers in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- 26 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- updated a Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Page "DIE ROMANTISCHE STRASSE"
- Posted in Travel Cuba Forum "Re: Food in All Inclusives"
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Rothenburg ob der Tauber travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "DIE ROMANTISCHE STRASSE"
- Uploaded a Video to Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Wrote a Review WEISSERTURM - WHITE TOWER in Rothenburg ob der Tauber Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 115 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues