Antwerp Things to Do Tips by LoriPori
Antwerp Things to Do: 1,156 reviews and 1,703 photos
Wednesday, August 3, 2005
Located on the banks of the River Scheldt, the NATIONAL SCHEEPVAARTMUSEUM or National Maritime Museum, is housed in the old fortification known as the Steen. Inside you will find ship models, maritime paintings, navigation instruments and a whole host of other objects and visual images from the maritimes.
There are impressive models of eighteenth-century ships that sailed to the East Indies, a 400-year old astrolab and glass-encased models of how Antwerp was in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, showing how ships were built then.
Besides the indoor Museum in the Steen, you can also walk around the Maritime Park, where real ships, boats and equipment are on display.
Entrance fee was 5 Euros for Adults.
Address: Steenplein 1, 2000 Antwerpen
Directions: next to the river, 2 minutes walk from the Market Square
Phone: + 32 (0)3-201 93 40
Antwerp is well-known as a great BEER TASTING spot, as there are a lot of different kinds of beer to try.
The Belgians say their beers are the best in the world -- but so say the Dutch and the Germans and I must say our Canadian Beer is pretty darn good too - Molson Canadian eh!
Typical for Antwerp is "Bolleke" ( little bowl ). It's a special bowl-shaped glass filled with the local specialty " De Koninck ".
Address: Bars throughout Antwerp
Wednesday, August 3, 2005
This was one of the places we visited on our tour of Antwerp. It really was very interesting to see a miniature version of the city of Antwerp, especially when they turned on the lights to show the city in all its glory at night.
The buildings were created in exact detail of the original, only on a much smaller scale. The "Stadhuis" was particularly well done.
Entry fee was 5 Euros
Address: Vlaamse Kaai
More Reviews (10)
LoriPori's Related Pages
Antwerp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Drink the Elixir!"
- "Antwerp and area, viewed through the camera"
- "The biggest city of Flanders"
- "Pampered in Antwerp and a Bangelijke meeting :)"
- "'t Stad: My Antwerp"
- "More impressions of Antwerp"
- "VT meetings and pubcrawls in Antwerp"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antwerp
- Hotels in Antwerp
- Transportation in Antwerp
- Nightlife in Antwerp
- Restaurants in Antwerp
- Shopping in Antwerp
- Warnings and Dangers in Antwerp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antwerp
- 13 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Antwerp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antwerp
Photos in AntwerpSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 112 reviews, 334 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (112)
- Cathedral of Our Lady- 124 Reviews, 208 Photos
- Het Steen - National Maritime Museum- 78 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Zoo- 74 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Red Light District- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Central Station - Astridplein - Diamonds- 52 Reviews, 83 Photos
- Groenplaats - Green Square- 39 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Grote Markt- 31 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Sint Anna Pedestrian Tunnel- 15 Reviews, 21 Photos
- City Hall - Stadhuis- 27 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Brabo Fountain- 25 Reviews, 41 Photos
See All Antwerp Things to Do