Brussels Favorite Tips by LoriPori
Brussels Favorites: 445 reviews and 567 photos
The King's House
Favorite thing: As we came out of a side street, we came upon a beautiful sight - the GRAND PLACE 0r De Grote Markt, the central square of Brussels. As it was evening, all the buildings were lit up in all its glory. There was the Gothic Town Hall, the St. Michael and Gudula Cathedral, the The King's House or Broodhuis and the wonderful Guildhalls. And of course, the famous chocolatier - GODIVA.
Grand Place is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Picture #4 was taken by IanGrace. I have her permission to put it here on VT. Thank you so much - it is an awesome picture.
Favorite thing: The city of BRUSSELS is the capital of Belgium and also the largest urban area.
Brussels has grown from a 10th century fortress town into a metropolis of mora then one million inhabitants.
Since the end of WWII Brussels has been a main center for internation politics and is the headquarters of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization - NATO.
Brussels is known for its waffles, chocolate (Neuhaus, Leonidas & Godiva) , Belgian Frites ( NOT french fries), and its numerous types of beers.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Hans and I had the opportunity to visit Brussels for the evening as we had a 15 hour layover. IanGrace (kylian74), was kind enough to offer to pick us up at our B & B and take us to the old town of Brussels. IanGrace, along with her Boys - Werner (hubby) and Kyle (son)- showed us a bit of Brussels for the length of time we had. It was evening, so the Grand Place was absolutely beautiful all lit up. We got to see the Town Hall, The King's House, the Guildahalls, Mannekin Pis, Galeries Royales St. Hubert and the Rue de Bouchers. We also had some Belgian Frites and Werner bought me a box of the lovely Godiva Chocolates.
All in all we had a great time. Thanks again IanGrace, Werner and Kyle. You're the best.
Favorite thing: The Brabantine Gothic style BRUSSELS TOWN HALL is located in the famous square - Grand Place. Its tower which rises to 96 meters or 310 feet, is absolutely beautiful, especially in the evening when the whole building is lit up. The spire is topped by the archangel Saint Michael, the patron saint of Brussels. He is seen slaying a dragon.
The facade is decorated with numerous statues depicting nobles and saints.
Favorite thing: With its numerous cafe's and restaurants, offering all types of local and international dishes, RUE DE BOUCHERS is one of the most famous pedestrian streets of Brussels.
In the medieval ages, this was the street of meat sellers (Bouchers) hence the name Rue de Bouchers.
As we strolled along this narrow street, we were constantly touted by the restaurants, to come into their place to have dinner. There are so many, it's perhaps the only way to attract customers. Also the cobbled street was not even and had many bricks missing, making it necessary to watch your step the whole time. You would think that such a famous street would make repairs to the bricks. Or maybe it's part of its charm???
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it - too busy watching my step. hehe!
Galeries Royales St.Hubert
Favorite thing: Perhaps one of the most beautiful shopping arcades I have ever seen is the GALERIES ROYALES ST. HUBERT. Construction began on this arcade in 1846 and was inaugurated on June 20, 1847 by King Leopold.
The main passage is 213 meters long. The Galleries are divided into 3 parts - Queen's Gallery - King's Gallery - Prince's Gallery.
Here you will find upscale boutiques, including the Neuhaus Chocolatier, (pic #4) clothing, jewellery and lace boutiques (pic #5). There is also a theatre and movie house.
Favorite thing: The famous Brussels landmark and symbol of the city, MANNEKEN PIS is a 61 cm tall bronze statue of a little boy urinating into the fountain. I was actually shocked at how small it really was. My first impression was "Is that it???"
Designed by Jerome Duguesnoy and placed at its location in 1618 or 1619. It is located at the junction of Rue de L'Etuve' and Rue du Chene. Another little shocker, is that this statue is not the original. Over the centuries, it has been stolen or defaced, so the original is in a museum. The present Manneken Pis is protected by an iron gate, so nobody can get at the little guy.
More Reviews (7)
LoriPori's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 13 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Member Awards - Voting now..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Brussels travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "GRAND PLACE - DE GROTE MARKT"
- updated a Brussels Travelogue "LORIPORI'S IMAGES OF BRUSSELS"
- Wrote a Review THE CITY MUSEUM OF BRUSSELS about Musée de la Ville de Bruxelles in Brussels Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 114 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (116)
- Manneken Pis- 170 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Grand Place - Grote Markt- 213 Reviews, 372 Photos
- Atomium- 137 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Cathédrale of St. Michael and St. Gudula- 82 Reviews, 190 Photos
- Mini Europe- 41 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert- 40 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Palais Royal de Bruxelles- 67 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Parc du Cinquantenaire - Parc Jubel- 54 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Guild Houses- 36 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Palais de Justice Bruxelles- 44 Reviews, 54 Photos
See All Brussels Things to Do