"BOKRIJK --- OPEN AIR MUSEUM" Top 5 Page for this destination Genk by LoriPori
Genk Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 74 photos
Saturday, July 30, 2005
Hans and I, along with Johan and his lovely wife Wies, spent a wonderful day at BOKRIJK an OPEN AIR MUSEUM ( Het Openluchtmuseum ) located near Genk, Belgium.
In the 19th Century Open Air Museum, you can experience how Belgians of yesteryear lived, worked and what they did for relaxation and to pass the time.
Spreading over an area of more than 60 hectares, it is separated into three distinct areas - Kempen Village -- Haspengouw Village and East & West Flanders.
So come along with us and we will give you a tour of this place geared to the young and the young at heart!!
Although it looks like Hansie is in Jail, this was actually the CANDLE-MAKERS HOUSE. A Volunteer was inside, showing us how they made honey-comb candles. He had a thin sheet of bee's wax and cut it into two triangles. Then he inserted the long wick from top to bottom and then rolled it with his fingers until it became a cone-shaped candle which he claimed would burn for hours.
What is a community without a church. KAPEL ZEPPEREN is a lovely little stone building with plain windows and very tiny inside. Even a small cemetery was beside the church.
- Pros:For the Young and the Young at Heart ( That's us!!! )
A former tavern from Lier SINT GUMMARUS is situated in the Kempen Village. Specializes in local dishes such as... more travel advice
The second of two Windmills is found in Kempen. This WINDMILL is called "Standermolen Mol-Millegam". more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Genk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BOKRIJK --- OPEN AIR MUSEUM"
- "Genk the "Green" Multicultural city of Belgium."
- "Born and raised in genk"
- "This is NOT Gent!"
- "Two nights in Genk"
- "Genk, beautiful and multi-cultural city"
- "Bokrijk, Open Air Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Genk
- Hotels in Genk
- Transportation in Genk
- Nightlife in Genk
- Restaurants in Genk
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Genk
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Genk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Genk
Photos in GenkSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 110 reviews, 318 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 31 reviews, 172 photos, 9 travelogues