"TONGEREN "THE OLDEST TOWN OF BELGIUM"" Top 5 Page for this destination Tongeren by LoriPori

Tongeren Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 94 photos

Sunday, July 31, 2005
Tongeren is called the "Oldest town of Belgium" as it goes back when Roman legions crossed this region in 52 BC. These legions stumbled upon resistance of several native tribes. Among them were the Eburons, led by Ambiorix.
Eventually Tongeren became a melting pot from different societies and cultures even in Roman times.
After building the 13th century city walls, Tongeren expanded with different cloisters, some small churches and a beguinage. Many of these Medieval monuments are still very much present in the city.
On the day we visited Tongeren, Johan, Hans and I, it was Antique Market Day. The streets were full with vendors, visitors and a wonderful ambiance. Thanks Johan for taking us to this wonderful Medieval Town.

Update: Tongeren will be the site of a large Virtual Tourist Meet on May 22, 23 and 24, 2015. Hans and I are planning to be there, would love to see many of our fellow members.

• Pros:Charming Medieval Town
  • Last visit to Tongeren: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 15, 2013

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Tongeren looks like a great place for the meet!! I really like that there will be options to visit 3 countries too!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Nov 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM

It will be a great place for a VT Meet. Already so many have signed up and I really don't know where everyone will stay as it's not such a big town.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

What a lovely place and page!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

What a great page, especially the archaeological excavations!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I wish I could taste those frites. Nice trip Lori, and great guide.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM

What a great place with so much medieval architecture! Would love to visit it some day.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM

The antique market would attract me for sure, Lori. I love to browse. The photos & info are excellent, especially of the medieval wall & gates.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 6:21 AM

Nice to see the "oldest" town in Belgium. Great to see old medieval walls and gates.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Interesting page about a place which really worth a visit. I've never been there but I'd like to enjoy Tongeren from a sightseeing train... Thanks Lori for the virtual tour.

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Thanks for visiting our Mecca page Lori!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Gads, don't say French fries in Belgium!!! ;-) I must say I developed quite a liking for frites dipped in mayo :-) Sorry we had to pass on Tongeren, looks lovely

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Tongeren

Have you been to Tongeren?