"GOTTA LOVE NOVA SCOTIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Nova Scotia by LoriPori
Province of Nova Scotia Travel Guide: 2,282 reviews and 6,156 photos
One of Canada's 3 Maritime Provinces is NOVA SCOTIA. Its capital is Halifax. Cape Breton Island, a large island to the NE of the mainland, is also part of Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia tourism is a thriving industry, as 200,000 cruise ship passengers from around the wordl, flow through the port of Halifax. Also popular are Peggy's Cove (with 600,000 visitors a year), Lunenburg and the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island ( we visited all 3).
Nova Scotia has produced numerous musicians including Anne Murray, Sarah McLachlan, Rita McNeil, the Rankin Family and April Wine.
Monday, September 10, 2012
Situated on Nova Scotia's South Shore, LUNENBURG is located on a peninsula at the western side of Mahone Bay and approximately 90 km southwest of the city of Halifax. The historic town was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995. This designation ensures protection for much of Lunenburg's unique architecture.
Lunenburg has a long history of building wooden ships, the most famous being the schooner Bluenose. Her sister ship Bluenose II is a huge tourist attraction and Lunenburg is her home port.
Tourism is Lunenburg's most important industry and thousands visit the town every year. A number of restaurants, Inns, Hotels and shops service this tourist trade. The town is home to the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic. Other tourist attractions include Lunenburg Academy, Whale Watching Tours, Knaut -Rhuland House Museum and St. John's Anglican Church.
Hans and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Lunenburg.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
A small community, PEGGY'S COVE is located on the Eastern Shore of St. Margarets Bay and 43 kilometers southwest of Halifax. Peggy's Cove is one of the numerous small fishing villages located around the Chebucto Peninsula. Many artists and photographers flock to Peggy's Cove as do tourists and Bus Tours.
The village's famous Lighthouse with its classic colors of red and white, marks the eastern entrance of St. Margarets Bay. Situated on a granite outcrop, the lighthouse is officially known as the Peggys Point Lighthouse.
Visitors may explore the granite outcrop around the lighthouse , despite numerous signs warning of unpredictable surf and slippery rocks. There have been many injuries and even death for some who do not heed the warnings.
The current lighthouse, octagonal in shape, was built in 1914 and is made of reinforced concrete. It stands almost 15 meters (50 feet) high.
From the beginning, the community's economy revolved around the fishery. Today tourism has overtaken fishing in economic importance. I have to say, I was soooo looking forward to my visit to Peggy's Cove and I was not disappointed. It was one of the highlights of our East Coast Road Trip.
For more information see my Peggy's Cove pages.
- Pros:Favorites - Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg & Cape Breton Island
September 2012 This tip is mainly to document the Nova Scotia Portion of our East Coast Road Trip. I want to write it... more travel advice
September 12 & 13, 2012 Hans and I entered CAPE BRETON HIGHLANDS NATIONAL PARK at the Eastern Entrance at Ingonish. The... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Province of Nova Scotia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From the old country to the new."
- "Farewell to Nova Scotia, your sea bound coast"
- "beautiful Nova Scotia"
- "GOTTA LOVE NOVA SCOTIA"
- "Nova Scotia Bound!"
- "Blue Rocks"
- "Nova Scotia "land by the Sea ""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Nova Scotia
- Hotels in Province of Nova Scotia
- Transportation in Province of Nova Scotia
- Nightlife in Province of Nova Scotia
- Restaurants in Province of Nova Scotia
- Shopping in Province of Nova Scotia
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Nova Scotia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Nova Scotia
- 66 Reviews
- 443 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Province of Nova Scotia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Nova Scotia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: 2014 Christmas Dinner"
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Province of Nova Scotia travelogues
- Wrote a Review EAST COAST ROAD TRIP - NOVA SCOTIA PORTION in Province of Nova Scotia Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "EAST COAST ROAD TRIP - NOVA SCOTIA PORTION"
- updated a Province of Nova Scotia Travel Page "GOTTA LOVE NOVA SCOTIA"
Photos in Province of Nova ScotiaSee All Photos (443)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 112 reviews, 334 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues