"MAINE - LOBSTERS & LIGHTHOUSES" Top 5 Page for this destination Maine by LoriPori

Maine Travel Guide: 2,615 reviews and 5,517 photos

WELCOME TO MAINE

The New England Coast is steeped in Lighthouses , some perched on scenic cliffs and barrier islands. Many of these aids to navigation are over a century old and continue to stand on guard for Mariners.
Many beacons, which have been associated with the drama of shipwrecks and historic rescues, are open to visitors. Maine is a mecca for lighthouses, with 65 of them along the jagged coastline.
Lobsters are everywhere in the Down East and Acadian region - from live to served up in a gourmet dining room and everything in between. You can watch the fishermen unload their catch and have steamed lobster at a roadside stand. Harvested from the cold coastal waters, Maine Lobster has a distinctive flavor that's both mild and slightly sweet.

BAR HARBOR, MAINE

There's lots to see and do in BAR HARBOR the gateway to Acadia National Park. Twenty miles south of Ellsworth via Route 3, Bar Harbor offers restaurants, shops, boutiques and galleries of all kinds, to visitors staying in elegant inns, hotels, B & B's. RV or Camp sites.
Sail Frenchman's Bay aboard the "Margaret Todd", with Cadillac Mountain in the background. Take an excursion boat to whale-watch amd sightsee or cruise to Canada via high-speed vessels.
In Acadia National Park which straddles Mount Desert Island, you can hike or bike along 120 miles of scenic paths.
Called Eden when founded in 1796 and renamed in 1921 for the sand bar which had accumulated in the bay, Bar Harbor's first Hotel was built in 1856, many others followed by 1880 and the town had acquired its national grand resort reputation. Affluent summer residents built sumptuous 'cottages' along "Millionaire's Row".

OUR ROAD TRIP THROUGH MAINE

After the wonderful VT meet in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, it was time to move on to the next leg of our road trip - MAINE.
We began our trip at the Maine Welcome Center in Kittery. Here we got a treasure trove of information on Lobsters - Lighthouses - Things to do - Places to stay. We first visited the picturesque Cape Neddick "Nubble" lighthouse near York Beach, passed through the lovely town of Ogunquit and on to Kennebunkport where George Bush and his family has a summer home. Visited the quaint fishing village of Cape Porpoise then on to Old Orchard Beach. Made a stop at Cape Elizabeth and photographed the lighthouse there. Now on to Portland and Brunswick where we stayed for the night.
Next day it was on to Rockland - visited the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. Now Highway #1 takes us north to Camden, Belfast, Bucksport and Ellsworth where we take the #3 south to Bar Harbor - our final Maine destination.
On our way home, we passed through Augusta, the state capital of Maine.

UPDATE:
September, 2012
We again visited the state of Maine during our Road Trip - East Coast US & Canada.
During this trip we stopped in Rumford, visited an Alpaca Farm in Farmington, stayed overnight in Ellsworth and again Hansi had a feast of Lobster.

• Last visit to Maine: Sep 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2012

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Lori, great page! I have been wanting to visit Maine for a long while now and your page is even more inspiration to get there. Your photos are great too and you & Hansi sure look like you had a great time!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Sep 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Thanks so much for checking out some of my Maine pages. We really did enjoy our visits there. I am now working on Nova Scotia which I loved as there are so many beautiful places to explore there.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM

After seeing this page...I want Lobster!!!!!Who am I kidding...I always want Lobster...

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Sep 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Hansi had two feasts of Lobster during this recent trip to Maine. I have to say, I don't like all the work it takes to eat one. Ewwww! Give me shrimp any time.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo
      Sep 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Yum! Love that Maine Lobster...and seafood in general. My Hubby prefers the Lobster already disasembled...doesn't like the Lobster staring back at him as he eats it...lol.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Lobster alone would be enough for a travel! You lobster tips make me drool! Really! I love lobster! I must consider seriously visiting Maine! Thank you for sharing your lobsters!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2008 at 6:53 AM

This page brings back so many wonderful memories of our visits to Maine. We ate at the Lobster Shack, but how could we have missed Lori's Cafe! GRIN

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Fantastic US state!!! The lobster seems delicious!!! Another place to add on my place to visit! Ciao

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 6:39 AM

Maine is one of my favorite states--we used to go there on our summer vacation when we lived in Vermont. (BTW, just back from Yemen & Djibouti).

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 10:01 AM

All those lobsters are making me hungry!!! Did you know at one time lobster was considered a poor man's food? Not anymore!!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 3:04 PM

While scrolling down the page I thought I read "Mobsters", and was relieved to find that it was "Maine Lobsters" instead. I worked in Maine for two summers while I was in college, and loved it. Must go back sometime and learn to eat lobsters properly.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Delicious page, Lori! We have here in Russia lobsters which live in rivers with pure water. But there are very few of them last years... Thanks for the virtual tour!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Fantastic pages, Lori. Love the "Lori" restaurant. Lobster places sound marvelous. You've done such a wonderful job with Maine. I remember being there and enjoying the lobster also.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Maine