"MAINE - LOBSTERS & LIGHTHOUSES" Top 5 Page for this destination Maine by LoriPori
Maine Travel Guide: 2,613 reviews and 5,512 photos
The New England Coast is steeped in Lighthouses , some perched on scenic cliffs and barrier islands. Many of these aids to navigation are over a century old and continue to stand on guard for Mariners.
Many beacons, which have been associated with the drama of shipwrecks and historic rescues, are open to visitors. Maine is a mecca for lighthouses, with 65 of them along the jagged coastline.
Lobsters are everywhere in the Down East and Acadian region - from live to served up in a gourmet dining room and everything in between. You can watch the fishermen unload their catch and have steamed lobster at a roadside stand. Harvested from the cold coastal waters, Maine Lobster has a distinctive flavor that's both mild and slightly sweet.
There's lots to see and do in BAR HARBOR the gateway to Acadia National Park. Twenty miles south of Ellsworth via Route 3, Bar Harbor offers restaurants, shops, boutiques and galleries of all kinds, to visitors staying in elegant inns, hotels, B & B's. RV or Camp sites.
Sail Frenchman's Bay aboard the "Margaret Todd", with Cadillac Mountain in the background. Take an excursion boat to whale-watch amd sightsee or cruise to Canada via high-speed vessels.
In Acadia National Park which straddles Mount Desert Island, you can hike or bike along 120 miles of scenic paths.
Called Eden when founded in 1796 and renamed in 1921 for the sand bar which had accumulated in the bay, Bar Harbor's first Hotel was built in 1856, many others followed by 1880 and the town had acquired its national grand resort reputation. Affluent summer residents built sumptuous 'cottages' along "Millionaire's Row".
After the wonderful VT meet in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, it was time to move on to the next leg of our road trip - MAINE.
We began our trip at the Maine Welcome Center in Kittery. Here we got a treasure trove of information on Lobsters - Lighthouses - Things to do - Places to stay. We first visited the picturesque Cape Neddick "Nubble" lighthouse near York Beach, passed through the lovely town of Ogunquit and on to Kennebunkport where George Bush and his family has a summer home. Visited the quaint fishing village of Cape Porpoise then on to Old Orchard Beach. Made a stop at Cape Elizabeth and photographed the lighthouse there. Now on to Portland and Brunswick where we stayed for the night.
Next day it was on to Rockland - visited the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. Now Highway #1 takes us north to Camden, Belfast, Bucksport and Ellsworth where we take the #3 south to Bar Harbor - our final Maine destination.
On our way home, we passed through Augusta, the state capital of Maine.
We again visited the state of Maine during our Road Trip - East Coast US & Canada.
During this trip we stopped in Rumford, visited an Alpaca Farm in Farmington, stayed overnight in Ellsworth and again Hansi had a feast of Lobster.
Every once in a while, driving through Maine, you will see WATCH FOR MOOSE signs. They are very large and hard-to see... more travel advice
Thursday, September 6, 2012 Travelling east on US Route 2, we came to Farmington area and saw the coolest thing -... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Maine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAINE.....The Way Life Should Be !!!!!!"
- "Multifaceted Maine: New England's Crown Jewel"
- "Maine: Life the way it should be?"
- "MAINE - LOBSTERS & LIGHTHOUSES"
- "Pinetree State"
- "Cliff Island, Casco Bay, Maine. My summertime."
- "MAINE LIGHT HOUSES"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maine
- Hotels in Maine
- Transportation in Maine
- Nightlife in Maine
- Restaurants in Maine
- Shopping in Maine
- Warnings and Dangers in Maine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maine
- 47 Reviews
- 224 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Maine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maine
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues