"A SMASHIN' TIME IN HALIFAX UK" Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax by LoriPori
Halifax Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 1,087 photos
September 5, 6 & 7, 2008
VT Meeting in Halifax
Halifax U.K. was the site of a very fun VT Meeting "Fish, Chips & Mushy Peas" hosted by our very own Ricky52 and his lovely wife Sheila. Hans and I thought it would be an ideal time to explore the Northern part of England, so we enthusiastically signed up. We were looking forward to a good time and Ricky sure had a great program for us. It all started out Friday night, September 5 at the Cafe' Passion, featuring Mediterranean style dishes.
Saturday, September 6, we went on a bus tour. Ricky hired a coach for us which was a brilliant idea. Our first stop was "The Gibbet" where some VT members went under the "Blade" while the rest of us shouted "Off with his 'ead".
Next it was driving through the wonderful Yorkshire countryside, while we sang to the music CD Ricky made up for us. He even prepared a song sheet with words to the songs, including Ricky's favourite "Blue Velvet".
Now it was time for our "Mystery Tour" which turned out to be a ride on a real steam train - The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway". We had our very own reserved Vintage railway carriage and went through little towns starting in Oxenhope - Haworth - Oakworth - Ingrow West - Keighley, then back again to Oxenhope.
Lunch was in Hebden Bridge at aj's fish & chips.
After lunch it was on to Sowerby Bridge for the "Rushbearing Festival" parade and then visit "The Scarecrows" in Norland. We were back at the Wool Merchant around 6:00 p.m. where we would later have our Saturday night VT Dinner at the Hotel's restaurant "La Taverna".
Sunday morning, most members went Clay Pigeon shooting, all dressed in raingear and wellies. Sunday lunch was at Branch Road Inn for their "Carvery". In the evening we had our last meal at Las Cuevas, a tapas restaurant.
All in all, we had a Smashin' time. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ricky and Sheila for organizing this wonderful get-together. You guys rock!
- Pros:Absolutely loved Halifax - so much to see and do here
- Cons:Had my fill of fish and chips and mushy peas for quite a while.
- In a nutshell:Lovely town - lovely seeing my VT friends
Saturday, September 6 and Thursday September 11, 2008 The countryside and villages around HEBDEN BRIDGE have turned the... more travel advice
Sunday night dinner was at a brand new restaurant called LAS CUEVAS which means The Caves. The restaurant was decorated... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Halifax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A SMASHIN' TIME IN HALIFAX UK"
- "VTers hit Halifax and surrounding area"
- "IT'S A BLAST !"
- "My first Rushbearing Meet"
- "Halifax - pretty, small and full of history..."
- "Halifax... the home of the Building Society"
- "Halifax and Calderdale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halifax
- Hotels in Halifax
- Transportation in Halifax
- Nightlife in Halifax
- Restaurants in Halifax
- Shopping in Halifax
- Warnings and Dangers in Halifax
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Halifax
- 31 Reviews
- 172 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Halifax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halifax
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues