"A SMASHIN' TIME IN HALIFAX UK" Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax by LoriPori

Halifax Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 1,087 photos

FISH'N CHIPS & MUSHY PEAS

September 5, 6 & 7, 2008
VT Meeting in Halifax
Halifax U.K. was the site of a very fun VT Meeting "Fish, Chips & Mushy Peas" hosted by our very own Ricky52 and his lovely wife Sheila. Hans and I thought it would be an ideal time to explore the Northern part of England, so we enthusiastically signed up. We were looking forward to a good time and Ricky sure had a great program for us. It all started out Friday night, September 5 at the Cafe' Passion, featuring Mediterranean style dishes.
Saturday, September 6, we went on a bus tour. Ricky hired a coach for us which was a brilliant idea. Our first stop was "The Gibbet" where some VT members went under the "Blade" while the rest of us shouted "Off with his 'ead".
Next it was driving through the wonderful Yorkshire countryside, while we sang to the music CD Ricky made up for us. He even prepared a song sheet with words to the songs, including Ricky's favourite "Blue Velvet".
Now it was time for our "Mystery Tour" which turned out to be a ride on a real steam train - The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway". We had our very own reserved Vintage railway carriage and went through little towns starting in Oxenhope - Haworth - Oakworth - Ingrow West - Keighley, then back again to Oxenhope.
Lunch was in Hebden Bridge at aj's fish & chips.
After lunch it was on to Sowerby Bridge for the "Rushbearing Festival" parade and then visit "The Scarecrows" in Norland. We were back at the Wool Merchant around 6:00 p.m. where we would later have our Saturday night VT Dinner at the Hotel's restaurant "La Taverna".
Sunday morning, most members went Clay Pigeon shooting, all dressed in raingear and wellies. Sunday lunch was at Branch Road Inn for their "Carvery". In the evening we had our last meal at Las Cuevas, a tapas restaurant.
All in all, we had a Smashin' time. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ricky and Sheila for organizing this wonderful get-together. You guys rock!

• Pros:Absolutely loved Halifax - so much to see and do here
  • Cons:Had my fill of fish and chips and mushy peas for quite a while.
  • In a nutshell:Lovely town - lovely seeing my VT friends
  • Last visit to Halifax: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2011

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2010 at 12:53 AM

the parish church looks really beautiful, all in all it seems a nice place for a vt meeting.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 4:32 AM

I see you enjoyed your Halifax VT meet very much. I wish I had been able to go there. I would have loved the Rushbearing Festival and the trip to York. Didn't you try your hand at shooting any clay pigeons?

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Thanks for visiting Mauritius Lori - love your restaurant tips.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Lori, fabulous page about Halifax. Unfortunately, I missed it when I was in Yorkshire some years ago. I would probably really enjoy the Railway Museum; also Hebden Bridge looks lovely.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Where was I in the main photo? Had I gone to the loo??OMG- what's with my left arm, in the cake photo??p.s. just looking again.What a comprehensive report! Love the VT Photo shoot video at Rushbearing!Hilarious.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 4:41 AM

Very impressive Halifax page with great shopping tips. The Railway Museum is amazing! Thank you very much for sharing the page. ~ho pang

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I agree with you, the clock tower is very impressive. That gibbet thing puts a lump in my throat. Very nice page.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Sounds like you had a great time at that VT meeting. I'm sure I would have liked the trip on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM

A great page with beautiful photos! You had a great time, for sure! The parish church looks superb, especially the glass stained windows. I searched desperately for Yorkshire pudding but did not find it in your restaurant tips (I love it!)

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2008 at 6:49 AM

Wow we packed in a lot of stuff in this 3 day weekend eh Lori . It was awesome and Ricky and Sheila did a fantastic job eh Lori

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Halifax

Have you been to Halifax?

Latest Activity in Halifax