"HEBDEN BRIDGE" Top 5 Page for this destination Hebden Bridge by LoriPori
Hebden Bridge Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 262 photos
Saturday, September 6 and Thursday September 11, 2008
The countryside and villages around HEBDEN BRIDGE have turned the area into the undisputed tourism capital of Calderdale. Thousands of visitors from far and wide visit the village each year.
The Village is eight miles (13 km) west of Halifax at the confluence of the River Calder and Hebden Water.
Hebden Bridge and the adjoining village of Mytholmroyd were once busy industrial centres with cotton and woollen mills producing corduroy, moleskin cloth and finished garments. Hebden Bridge factories - water-driven at first - gradually replaced the traditional handloom weaving and spinning carried on at area farms and cottages. There are many reminders of the area's industrial past - ruined mills - lonely chimneys!
Hebden Bridge takes its name from the "Packhorse Bridge" over Hebden Water.
The restored Rochdale Canal attracts boaters, fishermen and walkers.
Hans and I spent our time browsing the many shops that fill the streets of Hebden Bridge. St. George's Square, which is for pedestrians only, made it quite relaxing to walk around this lovely town.
- Pros:Charming Yorkshire Village
If you are looking for a relaxing canal cruise, BRONTE BOATS will take you along the scenic network of canals set in the... more travel advice
A PACKHORSE BRIDGE is a bridge intended to carry packhorses across a river or stream. Typically, a Packhorse Bridge... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Hebden Bridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hebden Bridge"
- "HEBDEN BRIDGE"
- "One of the World's Funkiest Towns-"
- "Trouser Town"
- "HEBDEN BRIDGE"
- "Artists, artisans, artistes, tourists and visitors"
- "Hebden and other views"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hebden Bridge
- Hotels in Hebden Bridge
- Transportation in Hebden Bridge
- Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
- Shopping in Hebden Bridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Hebden Bridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hebden Bridge
- 8 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Hebden Bridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hebden Bridge
Photos in Hebden BridgeSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues