"SCENIC YORKSHIRE DALES" Top 5 Page for this destination Yorkshire Dales National Park by LoriPori
Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 473 photos
Monday, September 8, 2008
The YORKSHIRE DALES is a special place. Established in 1954, the Park has breathtaking, dramatic scenery, abundant wildlife and rich cultural heritage.
Covering an area of 1,762 square kilometres (680 miles), the National Park is located in the North of England and straddles the central Pennines in the counties of North Yorkshire and Cumbria.
June (Poons) offered to take us to the Yorkshire Dales on the Monday following the VT Meet. We were joined by Sue (Suet), Angie (Angiebabe) and Sue (Suvanki).
We started our day in the lovely town of Haworth and then drove on little country roads through breathtaking countryside until we came to Bolton Abbey.
Our last stop was to visit Brimham Rocks. We capped off our wonderful day together with a Chinese dinner in Knaresborough.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank June, Suet, Angie and Sue for a smashin' day. You guys rock!
Situated on a hill overlooking Summerbridge and Lower Nidderdale, BRIMHAM ROCKS are a series of shaped millstone grit outcrops, sculpted by erosion during the last Ice Age.
The curious rock formations are scattered over some 50 acres on Brimham Moor and provide a great variety of weird and wonderful shapes. Many of the rock formations suggest all manner of things, including elephants, hippos, bears (Dancing Bear), Mushrooms and some are said to have an association with the Druids. Most of the rocks owe their bizarre shapes to erosion during and after the Devensian Glaciation Period.
Set in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales, on the banks of the River Wharfe, the historic estate of BOLTON ABBEY is the Yorkshire home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. Visitors are drawn to its breathtaking landscape - just under 30,000 acres of countryside. You can explore the ruins of the Priory, wander along the woodland, walk along 80 miles of footpaths and heather moorland.
Monday, September 8, 2008 The YORKSHIRE DALES is a special place. Established in 1954, the Park has breathtaking,... more travel advice
Founded in 1151 by the Augustinian Order. BOLTON ABBEY PRIORY was built on the banks of the River Wharfe, on land which... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Yorkshire Dales National Park page"
- "God's own country!"
- "SCENIC YORKSHIRE DALES"
- "Dales, Fells and Limestone"
- "Yorkshire Dales"
- "A Dales Woman at Heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Hotels in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Transportation in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Restaurants in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Shopping in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Yorkshire Dales National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yorkshire Dales National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (122)
Latest Yorkshire Dales National Park hotel reviews
- Wensleydale Heifer Hotel
- 491 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013