"SCENIC YORKSHIRE DALES" Top 5 Page for this destination Yorkshire Dales National Park by LoriPori

Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 503 photos

YORKSHIRE DALES NATIONAL PARK

Monday, September 8, 2008
The YORKSHIRE DALES is a special place. Established in 1954, the Park has breathtaking, dramatic scenery, abundant wildlife and rich cultural heritage.
Covering an area of 1,762 square kilometres (680 miles), the National Park is located in the North of England and straddles the central Pennines in the counties of North Yorkshire and Cumbria.
June (Poons) offered to take us to the Yorkshire Dales on the Monday following the VT Meet. We were joined by Sue (Suet), Angie (Angiebabe) and Sue (Suvanki).
We started our day in the lovely town of Haworth and then drove on little country roads through breathtaking countryside until we came to Bolton Abbey.
Our last stop was to visit Brimham Rocks. We capped off our wonderful day together with a Chinese dinner in Knaresborough.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank June, Suet, Angie and Sue for a smashin' day. You guys rock!

BRIMHAM ROCKS

Situated on a hill overlooking Summerbridge and Lower Nidderdale, BRIMHAM ROCKS are a series of shaped millstone grit outcrops, sculpted by erosion during the last Ice Age.
The curious rock formations are scattered over some 50 acres on Brimham Moor and provide a great variety of weird and wonderful shapes. Many of the rock formations suggest all manner of things, including elephants, hippos, bears (Dancing Bear), Mushrooms and some are said to have an association with the Druids. Most of the rocks owe their bizarre shapes to erosion during and after the Devensian Glaciation Period.

BOLTON ABBEY

Set in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales, on the banks of the River Wharfe, the historic estate of BOLTON ABBEY is the Yorkshire home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. Visitors are drawn to its breathtaking landscape - just under 30,000 acres of countryside. You can explore the ruins of the Priory, wander along the woodland, walk along 80 miles of footpaths and heather moorland.

• Last visit to Yorkshire Dales National Park: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2008

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM

The abbies are gorgeous. Your so lucky to have seen them. What a lovely place and page Lori!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Oct 22, 2014 at 4:15 AM

Thanks for visiting my Yorkshire Dales pages. And yes it sure was a pretty area and I was lucky enough to be able to go there - and with some great VT friends.

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Hi, me and Vicki are going to Bolton Abbey today, just browsing your tips before we set off!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Gorgeous pictures of the wonderful Yorkshire scenery. It's a part of England I haven't been to yet. Loved the Abbey ruins, the parish church and the graveyard. Tried to find the ghost in your lovely pictures but he probably doesn't appear by day.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2008 at 10:20 AM

The landscape looks so beautiful in the Dales! I hope to go there one day. And the tea and scones at the Tea Cottage sounds yummy!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 4:19 AM

What a lovely day out you had, in one of my favourite parts of the country :-))

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Maybe I should take the dogs south of the border = your page further invites me to visit this lovely corner but I would tread quietly in the graveyard!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Great pictures and a lot of information! And even a ghost to end with !

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM

How lovely that you got out to explore some of the English countryside! I love the old ruined abbey and all those cool rock formations :-)

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Another fantastic place!!! I love the strange rocky formations!!! Very interesting the ruins of the Bolton Abbey!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Wow wow very nice LoriPori Your pic's are really clear better then my movies well done young lady

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Yorkshire Dales National Park

Have you been to Yorkshire Dales National Park?

Latest Activity in Yorkshire Dales National Park