"VT TOUR TO BATALHA" Top 5 Page for this destination Batalha by LoriPori
Batalha Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 459 photos
Monday, June 1, 2009
This Gothic masterpiece MONASTERY OF SANTA MARIA DA VITORIA or Mosteiro de Santa Maria da Vitoria, is a UNESCO World Heritage monument.
Building began in 1388, after King Joao I made a vow to the Virgin Mary that he would build a magnificent monastery, if she granted him a victory over the Castillians in the Battle of Aljubarrota. Of course, they were victorious as the Monastery was built.
The exterior of the Monastery has innumerable Pinnacles, buttresses and balustrades above Gothic windows. The front Portal is decorated with statues of the twelve apostles in intricate and wonderful Gothic style.
VT BUS TOUR
Monday morning June 1, began veeeery early - like 5:00 a.m. as we were to get our tour bus at the SAS Radisson, near Campo Grande Metro Station in Lisbon for 8:30 a.m. and most of us were staying in Cascais. Our large group that was staying at Albergaria Valbom headed for the train station around 6:00 a.m. Most had to buy tickets (1.70 Euro) for the 6:30 train to Lisbon. When we arrived at Cais do Sodre Train station, we then headed for the Metro ( Green Line ) to take us to Campo Grande. We arrived in good time around 8:00 a.m. - even were there before Antonio. After we all availed ourselved of the washrooms in the SAS Radisson, we all piled into the big blue bus and we were on our way.
Our first stop was Batalha Monastery. Then the CrisForm glass-blowing factory in Marinha Grande, where we had a wonderful glass-blowing demonstration and then it was on to Nazare' for lunch at Restaurante Sao Miguel. After lunch it was on to Alcobaca Monastery and finally Obidos.
The bus driver got us back to Lisbon at the SAS Radisson. From there we got to the Metro (Green Line) to Cais do Sodre train station and finally headed back to Cascais. A long day but absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much Antonio and Avelino. It was fantastic.
The town of BATALHA is located south of Leiria, west of Fatima and 118 km ( 73 miles ) north of Lisbon. It was the first stop on our VT Bus Tour. Its main attraction of course is the Monastery of Santa Maria da Vitoria.
My absolute favourite part of the Monastery was the Roofless Unfinished Chapel. Loved the Manueline style of architecture used - so exquisite and kind of romantic.
- Pros:Extraordinary Monastery
Situated in the northwestern corner of Claustro Real, the LAVABO, the work of Mateus Fernando, is a thing of beauty and... more travel advice
In this Chapel are the TOMBS of King Afonso V ( 1432 - 1481) and his wife Queen Isable ( 1432 - 1455) King Joao II (... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Batalha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Batalha, Portugal"
- "Batalha - UNESCO site"
- "VT TOUR TO BATALHA"
- "Batalha - [The "Batlle"]"
- "The Monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Batalha
- Hotels in Batalha
- Transportation in Batalha
- Restaurants in Batalha
- Shopping in Batalha
- Warnings and Dangers in Batalha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Batalha
- 8 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to Batalha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Batalha
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 116 reviews, 343 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues