"VT TOUR TO BATALHA" Top 5 Page for this destination Batalha by LoriPori

Batalha Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 450 photos

BATALHA MONASTERY

Monday, June 1, 2009
This Gothic masterpiece MONASTERY OF SANTA MARIA DA VITORIA or Mosteiro de Santa Maria da Vitoria, is a UNESCO World Heritage monument.
Building began in 1388, after King Joao I made a vow to the Virgin Mary that he would build a magnificent monastery, if she granted him a victory over the Castillians in the Battle of Aljubarrota. Of course, they were victorious as the Monastery was built.
The exterior of the Monastery has innumerable Pinnacles, buttresses and balustrades above Gothic windows. The front Portal is decorated with statues of the twelve apostles in intricate and wonderful Gothic style.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:

VT BUS TOUR
Monday morning June 1, began veeeery early - like 5:00 a.m. as we were to get our tour bus at the SAS Radisson, near Campo Grande Metro Station in Lisbon for 8:30 a.m. and most of us were staying in Cascais. Our large group that was staying at Albergaria Valbom headed for the train station around 6:00 a.m. Most had to buy tickets (1.70 Euro) for the 6:30 train to Lisbon. When we arrived at Cais do Sodre Train station, we then headed for the Metro ( Green Line ) to take us to Campo Grande. We arrived in good time around 8:00 a.m. - even were there before Antonio. After we all availed ourselved of the washrooms in the SAS Radisson, we all piled into the big blue bus and we were on our way.
Our first stop was Batalha Monastery. Then the CrisForm glass-blowing factory in Marinha Grande, where we had a wonderful glass-blowing demonstration and then it was on to Nazare' for lunch at Restaurante Sao Miguel. After lunch it was on to Alcobaca Monastery and finally Obidos.
The bus driver got us back to Lisbon at the SAS Radisson. From there we got to the Metro (Green Line) to Cais do Sodre train station and finally headed back to Cascais. A long day but absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much Antonio and Avelino. It was fantastic.

BATALHA

The town of BATALHA is located south of Leiria, west of Fatima and 118 km ( 73 miles ) north of Lisbon. It was the first stop on our VT Bus Tour. Its main attraction of course is the Monastery of Santa Maria da Vitoria.

THE UNFINISHED CHAPEL

My absolute favourite part of the Monastery was the Roofless Unfinished Chapel. Loved the Manueline style of architecture used - so exquisite and kind of romantic.

• Pros:Extraordinary Monastery
  • Last visit to Batalha: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2012

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM

What a beautiful monastery! Absolutely worth the early start in the morning!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Jun 29, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Batalha and its monastery was certainly very beautiful. Just got home yesterday from the VT Meet in Sibiu, Romania. Very enjoyable even with the very hot weather.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2012 at 4:50 AM

IT is hard to fathom how such an exquisite building could just be left unfinished, i suppose the money ran a bit short eh? What exceptional places you show, wow!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Nov 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thanks Val. We were so fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit these "exceptional places"

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Just delightful, Lori. Again, wonderful travelogues. I admire how organized and easy to follow these pages are for we readers/viewers. I would love to visit this World Heritage Monument for sure.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 1:05 PM

great page lori. i have been many times to batalha and it´s one of my favorite spots in portugal.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Wow, this is another place that looks fantastic! I am always impressed by cloisters but this one is especially outstanding! This is another great page!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Another gorgeous little page of yours. On that Monday at 5:00 a.m. I was still lying in my fluffy bed in the lovely Pergola house in Cascais. :-)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM

The unfinished chapel was my favorite part too :-) I think it was that it was kind of eerie and open.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM

This looks fantastic - another place for me to wish I could have made it to! The stained glass in the Founder's Chapel is exquisite and the Manueline work too, especially in the Unfinished Chapel :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Yes, you really made a lot during these after meet days :-)) I love the light atmosphere at the fllors :-)) Amazingly beautiful :-))

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Hey....lovely photos Lori! I love stained glass windows :o) .... and you captured the reflection on the floor beautifully too! :o) Wow, everything is sooo big there! Hugs xx

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Batalha

Have you been to Batalha?

Latest Activity in Batalha