"CASCAIS - THE COAST OF KINGS" Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais by LoriPori

Cascais Travel Guide: 452 reviews and 2,306 photos

CASCAIS

A suburb of Lisbon ( 30 km west of Lisbon ) and extending along six miles of beach, Estoril and CASCAIS comprise the Portuguese Riviera.
Cascais was a small fishing village throughout early history as it lies at the mouth of the Rio Tejo and is protected from nature's elements.
In 1870 King Luis I chose to convert the 17th century "Palacio da Citadela" into his summer residence. Cascais soon became a very fashionable town and aristocratic palaces and mansions followed, thus the name "Coast of Kings".
Hans and I really enjoyed our time in Cascais, as it is a typical seaside resort with Belem, Lisbon and Sintra easily accessible, plus its restaurants boast good wine and seafood dishes and traditional Portuguese cuisine.

February, 1996
After spending two weeks in the Algarve, Hans and I were here for a few days because of its proximity to Lisbon Airport. It's a beautiful coastal town and so looking forward to being there again in May, 2009 for the Euromeet.

May 24 to June 7, 2009
Attended
Euromeet2009

• Pros:Totally awesome town of Cascais
  • Last visit to Cascais: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2012

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My visit to Cascais was very short, I took a walk to Boca do Inferno and then I walked along the sea to Estoril. Great place for a VT-meet!

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I have to say that we really did enjoy our time in Cascais and not just at the VTMeet. Cascais is such a lovely town and so much things to do esp the walks along the sea. Thanks Malena for stopping by.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Hi Lori, I've had such fun re-visiting Cascais with you as guide. D and I are going in April and the hotel I've been trying to book is the one you allocated a tip of it's own - Hotel Baia. At the moment the no availability signs are flashing but on Wednesday the reservations staff are back on duty, so fingers crossed .

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Yes, Hotel Baia is certainly a great location in Cascais and that's a good idea to try and contact them directly. Perhaps they really do have rooms still open. Good luck and Happy New Year.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2012 at 5:34 AM

I must say it did look nice and clean. The sights seem to have been kept up nicely. I think you and I both have an eye for the tilework, which looks magnificent! This would make for a relaxing vacation for sure!

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I really liked Cascais. It was an excellent location to stay, with great beaches, restaurants and all within walking distance from our hotel. I would gladly return here again.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM

There certainly are a lot of sites to see here, and I especially like forts and castles. YOu did a nice job of presenting this material, as usual.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM

~ Hi, Lori! It's nice to read your pages! Cascais looks like a great place to explore...><>< Thanx ><><

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I enjoyed your Cascais page. Unfortunately, we drove right through Cascais on our Portugal trip, but did not have enough time to stop and sightsee. It looks like an interesting town.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM

Another enjoyable page of yours, Lori. Casa de Santa Maria looks very beautiful indeed. Loved esp. the tiled mural and the wooden ceiling. You have some charming pictures of other houses there too. I thought it would be hotter in Portugal.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I repeat: Your documentation skills are exemplary. Anything or anyone I ever need to find out later, is always listed on one of Lori's pages. You're awesome!

• droscar's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 2:44 AM

we had a great time in Cascais as you hinted. I've just posted a few tips and more to come. A Hi spot was 18/sept opening of the new casa das historias with the paula rego exhibition. low spots the aerobus and cascais sidewalks cheers david/droscar

• myriam_c's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks, Lori!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Cascais

Have you been to Cascais?