"VT BUS TOUR TO NAZARE'" Top 5 Page for this destination Nazaré by LoriPori

Nazaré Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 496 photos

PICTURESQUE SEASIDE VILLAGE OF NAZARE'

Monday, June 1, 2009
Located on the western Atlantic Ocean coast, in the Leiria district NAZARE' is a picturesque Seaside village with its sandy beaches.
The village consists of three areas:
A Praia - along the beach
O Sitio - old town on top of a cliff
Pederneira - old town on a hill top
The town's church, Our Lady of Nazare' was absolutely beautiful. I also loved the boulevard along the seashore, the narrow streets, the white houses and the open markets along the streets.
Nazare' was one of the stops our VT Group made. We also had lunch here at Restaurante Sao Miguel.

VT BUS TOUR

Monday morning June 1, began veeeery early - like 5:00 a.m. as we were to get our tour bus at the SAS Radisson, near Campo Grande Metro Station in Lisbon for 8:30 a.m. and most of us were staying in Cascais. Our large group that was staying at Albergaria Valbom headed for the train station around 6:00 a.m. Most had to buy tickets (1.70 Euro) for the 6:30 train to Lisbon. When we arrived at Cais do Sodre Train station, we then headed for the Metro ( Green Line ) to take us to Campo Grande. We arrived in good time around 8:00 a.m. - even were there before Antonio. After we all availed ourselved of the washrooms in the SAS Radisson, we all piled into the big blue bus and we were on our way.
Our first stop was Batalha Monastery. Then the CrisForm glass-blowing factory in Marinha Grande, where we had a wonderful glass-blowing demonstration and then it was on to Nazare' for lunch at Restaurante Sao Miguel. After lunch it was on to Alcobaca Monastery and finally Obidos.
The bus driver got us back to Lisbon at the SAS Radisson. From there we got to the Metro (Green Line) to Cais do Sodre train station and finally headed back to Cascais. A long day but absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much Antonio and Avelino. It was fantastic.

• Pros:Beautiful seaside fishing village
  • Last visit to Nazaré: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2012

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Great travelogues! Your grilled sardines reminds me of a small harbor in Greece where we had grilled sardines for breakfast, haha! Unusual but finaly pleasant! These seven skirts are impressive!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 5:49 AM

Stunning little city...pristine beaches, wonderful local crafts at street vendors. Stonework of the Portuguese at boulevard is classic.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Looks like you enjoyed your visit to Nazaré! It was very nice reading your page, I am curious to read the rest specially the ones about Portugal.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Wonderful views from the top, Lori :-) Ahh, and I love the traditional 7 skirt custome and its meaning :-)) Mhhh, Sardines and the Portugese pavements.... :-))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Thanks, Lori. This all looked vaguely familiar, so I got out my old notes and discovered that I visited Nazaré on my bicycle tour in 1963. In fact I stayed there for two nights before going on to Leiria and Pombal on March 21st.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Another interesting VT trip with VT friends. I envy you could make it together!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Lori, excellent little page about Nazare. As you know we were there for a few days just before the big meeting and we really enjoyed it there. As the funicular was maintained at that time we had to take a public bus to get to Sitio.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Lovely Nazare page, Lori. We were there for 3 nights before Cascais and in that week the funicular was not running :(

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Hey, Lori, these tips and travelogues are terrific. The Boulevard is beautiful. Our Lady of Nazare is breathtaking; I'm with you on lingering at the Street Vendors. Loved the 7 Skirts of Nazare tradition.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Looks like a great place with lovely views and a nice promenade! Wish I also had been there!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Nazaré