"VT TOUR TO OBIDOS" Óbidos by LoriPori
Óbidos Travel Guide: 353 reviews and 896 photos
The town of OBIDOS is one of Portugal's picturesque gems. It is in the Distrito De Leiria and about 100 kilometres north of Lisbon. Our VT Group stopped here as part of our bus tour on Monday June 1, 2009.
What makes it so charming is its narrow, cobblestoned streets, lined with whitewashed houses painted with blue and yellow borders and most draped with bougainvillaea vines.
The name Obidos is said to come from the Latin "oppidum" meaning citadel.
Known as the "Wedding Present Town" as it was a gift King Kinis gave to Queen Isable on their wedding day in 1282.
Its main points of interest are:
Town Gate - main access door to the town, built approximately in 1380. It shelters the oratory of Our Lady of Piety.
Saint Mary's Church - Obidos Mother Church, Erected in the 12th century and rebuilt in the 16th century
Castelo de Obidos - Besides its military function, it was also the Royal Palace. In 1950, it became the first historic Pousada (State Inn) in Portugal.
Monday morning June 1, began veeeery early - like 5:00 a.m. as we were to get our tour bus at the SAS Radisson, near Campo Grande Metro Station in Lisbon for 8:30 a.m. and most of us were staying in Cascais. Our large group that was staying at Albergaria Valbom headed for the train station around 6:00 a.m. Most had to buy tickets (1.70 Euro) for the 6:30 train to Lisbon. When we arrived at Cais do Sodre Train station, we then headed for the Metro ( Green Line ) to take us to Campo Grande. We arrived in good time around 8:00 a.m. - even were there before Antonio. After we all availed ourselved of the washrooms in the SAS Radisson, we all piled into the big blue bus and we were on our way.
Our first stop was Batalha Monastery. Then the CrisForm glass-blowing factory in Marinha Grande, where we had a wonderful glass-blowing demonstration and then it was on to Nazare' for lunch at Restaurante Sao Miguel. After lunch it was on to Alcobaca Monastery and finally Obidos.
The bus driver got us back to Lisbon at the SAS Radisson. From there we got to the Metro (Green Line) to Cais do Sodre train station and finally headed back to Cascais. A long day but absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much Antonio and Avelino. It was fantastic.
- Pros:Charming and picturesque town - loved it!
Commissioned by King Sancho I in 1186, ST. JAMES CHURCH was completely destroyed in the devastating earthquake of 1755... more travel advice
The town of OBIDOS is one of Portugal's picturesque gems. It is in the Distrito De Leiria and about 100 kilometres north... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Óbidos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Óbidos a charming village"
- "Obidos - A Tourist Delight"
- "feel like you've stepped back in time"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Óbidos
- Hotels in Óbidos
- Transportation in Óbidos
- Nightlife in Óbidos
- Restaurants in Óbidos
- Shopping in Óbidos
- Warnings and Dangers in Óbidos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Óbidos
- 9 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Óbidos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Óbidos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 110 reviews, 318 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 31 reviews, 172 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (115)
Latest Óbidos hotel reviews
- Marriott Praia Del Rey Golf And Beach Resort
- 193 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2013
- Residencial Marazul
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Bom Sucesso Holiday Design Villas
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Pousada Castelo
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Estalagem do Convento Hotel Obidos
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Real D'Obidos
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- Praia D'El Rey
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Albergaria Josefa D'Obidos
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013