"THE NOBLE TOWN OF SINTRA" Sintra by LoriPori
Sintra Travel Guide: 537 reviews and 2,150 photos
Saturday, May 30. 2009
Truly a magical place SINTRA is surrounded by lush green forests and blessed with turreted palaces and old castles.
Due to its excellent location very close to Lisbon, the Palace of Sintra was a favoured place of residence among Portuguese Monarchs since the Middle Ages.
VT organizers arranged a great outing to Sintra, which also included a later stop to Cabo da Roca for a fabulous group pic. We had two busloads of eager VTers waiting at the pick-up spot at Hotel Cidadela.
Sintra, located 25 km north of Lisbon, is one of the most delightful towns to be found in Portugal as it is Picturesquely situated in the Hills of Sierra de Sintra.
There are three National Palaces here - The Royal Palace or Palace National de Sintra - Pena and Queluz. There is also the Palacio de Montserrate and Convento dos Capuches. Sintra also has its very own Moorish Castle - Castelo do Mouros.
The town of Sintra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Hans & I had a very relaxed day, with mostly visiting the Royal Palace, walking around town, roaming the narrow little hilly & cobblestoned side streets, having an ice cream (forgot to taste a queijadas which are little cheese tarts of which Sintra is famous) and taking the little tourist train.
Everyone else did their own thing, with some going to Pena, some walking up to the old Moorish Castle and one group in particular just sitting and socializing at the sidewalk terrace of the Bristol.
All in all - a great day!
- Pros:Magical UNESCO World Heritage Site
As Hans and I rode on the little train, we couldn't help but see a large group of VTers sitting outside on the terrace... more travel advice
Just up the hill from the National Palace, on Praca da Republica, is the TURISMO or Tourist Information Office. It was a... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Sintra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freshness near Lisbon"
- "The Pinnacle of Portugal !"
- "Keeweechic's Sintra"
- "Magic Town"
- "Sintra, Portugal"
- "THE NOBLE TOWN OF SINTRA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sintra
- Hotels in Sintra
- Transportation in Sintra
- Nightlife in Sintra
- Restaurants in Sintra
- Shopping in Sintra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sintra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sintra
- 14 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Sintra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sintra
Photos in SintraSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 114 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues