"ANTEQUERA 'THE HEART OF ANDALUCIA'" Top 5 Page for this destination Antequera by LoriPori

Antequera Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 438 photos

A LITTLE ABOUT ANTEQUERA

Located right in the center of Andalucia is the town of ANTEQUERA. There are plenty of sights to be seen and it is known for its abundance of churches. Also famous for its Plaza de Toros or Bullring. Antequera's main industry is not only tourism. It is an important area for Olive Oil production. The whole area around the town is covered with olive trees.
The district is also known for its Molina wines, dishes such as 'porra antequera', a type of bread rolls called 'mollettes' and the confectionary produced in the convents.
We visited Antequera with Stace ( Beach_Dog ), a terrific tour guide, very knowledgeable and a terrific map reader ( thanks Stace - I usually have to do it ). We got to see most of Antequera as well as El Torcal. Gratias Amigo.

Update: February 24, 2012
A group of us from the Bajondillo visited Antequera as part of an arranged Bus Tour. We also visited Periana where we all had lunch.

ANCESTRAL HOMES

The nobility settled during the Renaissance and the Baroque periods, in Antequera. They built magnificent ANCESTRAL HOMES of which lasting testimonies remain. One of the most notable is the Palace of Najera which is now the Municipal Museum. Remarkable examples of Baroque are the house of the Marquis of La Pena, that of the Baron of Sabasona ( one of the most original examples of a "framed facade" characteristic of the city ).
The accompanying picture is of an especially beautiful Baroque home, complimented by the green foliage of an Orange Tree.

PUERTA DE ESTEPA

Welcoming you to their fair city, are the Gates to Antequera PUERTA DE ESTEPA. Quite impressive, they are located on Alameda Andalucia, right across the street from the Plaza de Toros ( Bull - Ring ).

• Pros:Wonderful city to walk around in. Plenty to see & Rich in history.
  • Last visit to Antequera: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2012

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Lori, i only passed through antequera on the train. Really didn't know about El torcal and the dolmen, both of which looked excellent! I'm glad i ran across your pages, this would definitely be worth a stop:)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Nov 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

It really is worth going here, tho you would need a car to get up there or if you found a tour that included El Torcal. With you liking hiking, this is right up your alley. Fabulous views up there too.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Really interesting page. So the Romeo and Julliet story originated here. A love that lasts forever.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Hi, Lori!~ Thanks for your splendid story about this picturesque place... Spain is certainly full of great sights!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 6:18 AM

Excellent page with outstanding photos. It is always good to have such a brilliant blue sky. Well done. See you soon in Portugal.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Ohhh, how beautiful, sweet Lori :-)) And how stupid was I not to visit Antequera, because I headed directly to El Torcal. Oh my, what did I missed! Beautiful buildings and churches and fantastic tile work!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I also like the tiled works of art, and the view over La Peña de los Enamorados looks great!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Spectacular stuff here Lori!! You are really whetting my appetite for Andalusia with your beautiful photos! La Peña de los Enamorados reminded me of a 'sleeping' Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota!

• Nov 11, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Hello miss lori, I'm Patty, I talk to Hansi once in a while, and your antequera ceramics was on the homepage, and I love ceramic bowls and had to read where you went, great job!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 5:51 AM

A lovely page with some beautiful photos Lori. The Dolmens sound fascinating and I enjoyed seeing the tile pictures and the stork

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 3:23 PM

I like your attention to small details - the Stork chose a good place to nest & I would love to see the tile art work it looks impressive

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Antequera

Have you been to Antequera?

Latest Activity in Antequera