"ANTEQUERA 'THE HEART OF ANDALUCIA'" Top 5 Page for this destination Antequera by LoriPori
Antequera Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 438 photos
Located right in the center of Andalucia is the town of ANTEQUERA. There are plenty of sights to be seen and it is known for its abundance of churches. Also famous for its Plaza de Toros or Bullring. Antequera's main industry is not only tourism. It is an important area for Olive Oil production. The whole area around the town is covered with olive trees.
The district is also known for its Molina wines, dishes such as 'porra antequera', a type of bread rolls called 'mollettes' and the confectionary produced in the convents.
We visited Antequera with Stace ( Beach_Dog ), a terrific tour guide, very knowledgeable and a terrific map reader ( thanks Stace - I usually have to do it ). We got to see most of Antequera as well as El Torcal. Gratias Amigo.
Update: February 24, 2012
A group of us from the Bajondillo visited Antequera as part of an arranged Bus Tour. We also visited Periana where we all had lunch.
The nobility settled during the Renaissance and the Baroque periods, in Antequera. They built magnificent ANCESTRAL HOMES of which lasting testimonies remain. One of the most notable is the Palace of Najera which is now the Municipal Museum. Remarkable examples of Baroque are the house of the Marquis of La Pena, that of the Baron of Sabasona ( one of the most original examples of a "framed facade" characteristic of the city ).
The accompanying picture is of an especially beautiful Baroque home, complimented by the green foliage of an Orange Tree.
Welcoming you to their fair city, are the Gates to Antequera PUERTA DE ESTEPA. Quite impressive, they are located on Alameda Andalucia, right across the street from the Plaza de Toros ( Bull - Ring ).
- Pros:Wonderful city to walk around in. Plenty to see & Rich in history.
Built by the Moors, the ALCAZABA is a castle - CASTILLO - situated on a hill overlooking Antequera. From up here, there... more travel advice
An Electric mini CITY SIGHTSEEING BUS - "Bus Turistico", navigates the narrow cobblestone streets of Antequera, to take... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Antequera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antequera - En el Corazon de Andalucia"
- "ANTEQUERA 'THE HEART OF ANDALUCIA'"
- "Beautiful Antequera"
- "Antequera and beautiful Torcal Nature park"
- "Antequera (Malaga) The City of Art"
- "Beach_dogs Antequera Page"
- "Antequera, still undiscovered by mass tourism"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antequera
- Hotels in Antequera
- Transportation in Antequera
- Nightlife in Antequera
- Restaurants in Antequera
- Shopping in Antequera
- Warnings and Dangers in Antequera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antequera
- 23 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Antequera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antequera
Photos in AntequeraSee All Photos (146)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 40 reviews, 210 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues