"MAGNIFICENT MALAGA" Top 5 Page for this destination Málaga by LoriPori

Málaga Travel Guide: 887 reviews and 2,326 photos

A DAY IN MALAGA

January 29, 2006
When Carmen and Stace suggested we see Malaga for the day, we said we had already been there. We had taken the train two years ago and spent the afternoon in Malaga. Well, Carmen checked out our pages and declared that we had not "REALLY" seen Malaga. And she was absolutely right.
MALAGA is the major coastal city inAndalucia. The Moors occupied Malaga until the mid 15th century. It grew to become one of the foremost merchant centers in the entire Iberian Peninsula.
An absolute must see is the Alcazaba , a fortress dating back to 1065. Also worth visiting is the nearby castle Gibralfaro which was rebuilt by the Moors. It offers superb views from the Parador de Gibralfaro. You can see the Plaza de Toros, Malaga Harbour and the Cathedral very clearly from up there.
Pablo Picasso is Malaga's famous son and there are several galleries displaying his work, including the 16th century Museum of Fine Arts, adjacent to the Cathedral. Unfortunately we did not get the chance to see the Picasso Museum. As it was Sunday, and admission was free, there was a huge line-up to get in.
Remember, Malaga is always closed for the Siesta period, as is the custom through most of Spain.

Update - January 27, 2008
Today is my 60th birthday and I had the best day. Hans and I took the train to Malaga and was met by Carmen (Carmela71 ) Stace (Beach_dog) Sandra (Salsagirl) and Isa (Belsaita ) at the train station. Our first stop was to the Castillo de Gibralfaro, then it was on to the Alcazaba de Malaga and then out for dinner at La Casona. Had a wonderful traditional Spanish meal. After that we visited the Picasso Museum which is free on Sundays. All in all a wonderful day. Thanks to you my friends, especially the lovely basket of flowers.

Update - February 23, 2011
Hans and I, along with Bajondillo friends Gino and Fina, took the train to Malaga to spend the day there. We first strolled around the main shopping area, then went to the Tourist Information Center. We visited Catedral de Malaga and the Museo de Malaga. Our last stop was to the amazing Market, with all its fresh fish and fruits & vegetables. We bought some olives, fresh bread rolls and sliced ham, to make sandwiches. We had a picnic at the Marina. All in all a great and fun day.

Update - February 17, 2014
Hans and I took the train to Malaga as we were to meet up with our dear friend Jane and spend the afternoon with her. She met us at the exit of Malaga Centro Alameda. From there we headed for the Malaga Market where I bought some fresh rolls and slices of Ham. We went to the Botanical Gardens where we had a picnic and then strolled through this lovely park. We spent some time there and then Jane led us back to the train station. Thanks j for a lovely afternoon.

MOORISH CASTLE - GIBRALFARO

There are different theories as to the origins of CASTILLO DE GIBRALFARO and it could date back to the Phoenician -Carthaginian period, but the 'coracha' ( a walled passage which links the castle with the Alcazaba as a form of protection ) was built during the reign of Yusef I in the 14th century. The castle used to contain a mosque, but visitors today can still see several wells, bread ovens and the old powder factory, which is now an information centre.
From the Parador de Gibralfaro, you will have beautiful views over the ruins, the city and the sea.

• Pros:Lots to see and do - great restaurants & Tapas Bars
  • In a nutshell:Amazing cultural center - Picasso Museum - Museum de Malaga
  • Last visit to Málaga: Feb 2014
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2014

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2014 at 4:52 AM

Hola, Lori! I see you have explored and experienced a lot in Malaga! Thanks for your great story!)

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Thank you so much for visiting my Malaga pages. And yes, over the years, we have seen quite a bit of this lovely Spanish city.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I can understand why you have returned to Malaga a few times. It looks like a very nice city.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:02 AM

It is a very nice city to visit and just a short train ride from Torremolinos. Thanks for stopping by Malena.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM

What a absolutely gorgeous place! Excellent tips and page!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Lovely page on Malaga. There is much more to see than i had thought! I somehow never made it to Malaga, That pulpo looked great! I didn't get to eat as much seafood as i would have liked. Alcazaba looks great!!!

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Malaga has much to offer and it is just a short train ride from Torremolinos where we stay. As for the pulpo, I just can't get passed the way it looks and the texture of it when I tasted it. It wasn't my favorite dish.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Hi Lori, a great page about Malaga! My uncle and his family just came back from there and after seeing their photos, I just had to check the place on VT! Good to see some more detailed info of what to see and do in Malaga. The Alcazaba looks magnificent!

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Thanks for checking out my Malaga. I'm sure your uncle and his family must have enjoyed their time there. It's a lovely city with so much to see and do. We try to visit at least once during our yearly visit to southern Spain.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2012 at 4:57 AM

I love the layout of your pages, Lori! And they always have all the important information I am looking for. Can't wait to visit Andalucia now! :D

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM

We have one day here on a cruise ship back to USA in October, so thank you so much for the insight and guidance of what to see & do. Great comments and pictures.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I'm off to Madrid, Jerez de la Frontera and Malaga tomor, so am glad to have found this page; we were there 20 yrs ago, but missed most of it.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I checked out your Malaga page as I may just see the airport when coming to Torremolinos! Am so looking forward to see the seaside!!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Wow, what a superb page! You are right, when you are lead by local friends that know the place, you see much more of a location! Feb 09, the updates are like the older tips : excellent!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Málaga