"ROMANTIC RONDA" Ronda by LoriPori

Ronda Travel Guide: 511 reviews and 1,389 photos

POPULAR WITH TOURISTS

Wednesday May 3, 2006
Ronda stands on a towering plateau, which is divided in two by a plunging river gorge known as El Tajo. El Tajo is spanned by a bridge called the Puente Nuevo which was built in the 18th century and provides acess to both sides of the town. On one side of the bridge is the Old Moorish town with many historic buildings and on the other side you will find El Mercadillo, the more recent urban development, with shops, cafe's and restaurants. It is very popular with day-trippers from the Costa del Sol and tour companies bring tourists by the busload to this very picturesque town.
Ernest Hemingway and Orson Welles resided in Ronda for many years and both wrote about its beauty. I have had the pleasure of visiting Ronda on two occasions. First in 2002 and in May 2006 with Matim (Ilse) and family.

PUENTE NUEVO

The sheer numbers of people crossing the original bridge, then merely called "El Puente", to reach the market, became unsustainable. It was clear that there needed to be a New Bridge PUENTE NUEVO to replace it. It is the remarkable architect, Jose' Martin De Aldehuela's magnificent masterpiece that spans El Tajo today, at a breath-taking height of over 300 feet.
Building commenced in 1751 and construction took 42 years. The Puente Nuevo was finally ready for use in 1793. It is built of solid blocks of stone in a series of arches. Beneath the central arch is a chamber that was once used as a prison. For a fee of 2 Euros, visitors can enter this chamber which contains an exhibition describing the bridge's history.
Standing on its walls and staring directly into the Gorge, can be a little intimidating. I know I felt a little quesy. But the views sure were worth it.

• Last visit to Ronda: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 3, 2006

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2011 at 3:54 AM

I visited this beautiful city last Friday with Carmen and Stacy :-)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM

What a wonderful place! The views in your beautiful pictures are simply stunning and the stone architecture so imposing. I don't approve of bullfighting either.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM

I want to see some bullfighting!!!I also want to wear the matador outfit, hehehee...sounds like a very romantic place I should bring my wife to...Norman :)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2008 at 5:33 AM

Lori, excellent little page with brilliant photos of this Andalusian gem. Your page brings back many memories of my daytrip to Ronda from Marbella.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Pity that I missed this very attractive city while traveling around Spain! Bullfighting Museum as well as the bull ring must have been very interesting! May be next time... Thanks Lori for sharing!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 1:19 PM

The panoramic view from Alameda del Tajo is outstanding! Wow, this bull ring is superb but too bad it is designed for this kind of event...

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM

The view of the gorge looks beautiful and I would absolutly make a daytrip to Ronda if I was going to Costa del Sol! Great tips!

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 7:16 AM

Ronda looks like a wonderful place for a day trip. Wonderful pictures and interesting tips, Lori.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 2:44 PM

The george and the bridge look impresive. Interesting info on bullfighting. And surely great company you had in Ronda :-)

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 9:16 AM

I remember reading about Ronda when I was studying about Spain prior to going there. It's too bad I wasn't able to go there--looks like a nice place. And thanks for adding me to your friends list. I've added you to mine as well.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Ronda