"ROMANTIC RONDA" Ronda by LoriPori
Ronda Travel Guide: 514 reviews and 1,396 photos
Wednesday May 3, 2006
Ronda stands on a towering plateau, which is divided in two by a plunging river gorge known as El Tajo. El Tajo is spanned by a bridge called the Puente Nuevo which was built in the 18th century and provides acess to both sides of the town. On one side of the bridge is the Old Moorish town with many historic buildings and on the other side you will find El Mercadillo, the more recent urban development, with shops, cafe's and restaurants. It is very popular with day-trippers from the Costa del Sol and tour companies bring tourists by the busload to this very picturesque town.
Ernest Hemingway and Orson Welles resided in Ronda for many years and both wrote about its beauty. I have had the pleasure of visiting Ronda on two occasions. First in 2002 and in May 2006 with Matim (Ilse) and family.
The sheer numbers of people crossing the original bridge, then merely called "El Puente", to reach the market, became unsustainable. It was clear that there needed to be a New Bridge PUENTE NUEVO to replace it. It is the remarkable architect, Jose' Martin De Aldehuela's magnificent masterpiece that spans El Tajo today, at a breath-taking height of over 300 feet.
Building commenced in 1751 and construction took 42 years. The Puente Nuevo was finally ready for use in 1793. It is built of solid blocks of stone in a series of arches. Beneath the central arch is a chamber that was once used as a prison. For a fee of 2 Euros, visitors can enter this chamber which contains an exhibition describing the bridge's history.
Standing on its walls and staring directly into the Gorge, can be a little intimidating. I know I felt a little quesy. But the views sure were worth it.
Ronda is located 50 km from Marbella which is on the coast. It is about a one hour drive and you pass through San Pedro... more travel advice
The best place to start your walking tour of Ronda is at the TOURIST INFORMATION CENTER which is located near the... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Ronda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bridge over the River Guadalevin"
- "Ronda - Pearl of the Andalusian mountains"
- "Ronda - Spain's amazing gem!"
- "One of the most Beautiful towns in Andalucia"
- "ROMANTIC RONDA"
- "Ronda - Home For A Week, May 04 - Flowers!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ronda
- Hotels in Ronda
- Transportation in Ronda
- Nightlife in Ronda
- Restaurants in Ronda
- Shopping in Ronda
- Warnings and Dangers in Ronda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ronda
- 13 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Ronda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ronda
Photos in RondaSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 113 reviews, 338 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues