"A STRONG MOORISH CHARACTER" Top 5 Page for this destination Vejer de la Frontera by LoriPori
Vejer de la Frontera Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 276 photos
Saturday, May 13, 2006
Perched high above the steep gorge of the River Barbate and the surrounding countryside, the old town of VEJER DE LA FRONTERA has an abundance of historical monuments. The Castle, turreted medieval walls, minaret of the old mosque, churches and convents, are a blend of Moorish, Visigoth and Mudejar styles.
Entering the upper part of the village through the original Moorish gates, you will see that Vejer has a strong Moorish character ( occupied by Moors up to 1250 ) and a maze of narrow, cobbled streets.
Hans and I , along with Carmen and Stace stopped here on our way to the Coast and Tarifa. Vejer is in Cadiz Province and is southwest of Jerez and northwest of Tarifa.
The Parish Church of the Divine Salvador or IGLESIA PAROQUIAL DIVINO SALVADOR was constructed during the 14th century on the site of an old mosque. The front of the Church is Visigothic while the remainder is Mudejar. Santuario de Nuestra Senora de la Oliva is a local chapel which houses a 16th century carved image of the Virgin Mary
Located southeast of Cadiz and Jerez and west of Algeciras and Gibraltar, TARIFA boasts ten kilometres of white sandy... more travel advice
The Parish Church of the Divine Salvador or IGLESIA PAROQUIAL DIVINO SALVADOR was constructed during the 14th century on... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Vejer de la Frontera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the whitest nicest villages in the south"
- "One beautiful little 'White' village!"
- "VEJER DE LA FRONTERA"
- "A STRONG MOORISH CHARACTER"
- "Vejer De La Frontera."
- "WOW Vejer de la Frontera - Puebla Blanco"
- "Molinos, Mountains, Meandering...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vejer de la Frontera
- Hotels in Vejer de la Frontera
- Transportation in Vejer de la Frontera
- Nightlife in Vejer de la Frontera
- Restaurants in Vejer de la Frontera
- Shopping in Vejer de la Frontera
- Warnings and Dangers in Vejer de la Frontera
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vejer de la Frontera
- 8 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Vejer de la Frontera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vejer de la Frontera
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 110 reviews, 318 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 31 reviews, 172 photos, 9 travelogues